Dynaco A-50 cabinet salvage

dynaco_dan

Hi there

Here is a used pair of Dynaco A-50's I bought from a 2nd hand store for $100.00.

Painted black cabinets with over spray on the back and cloths, Yuch.

Here is a few photos of the in progressive stripping job and the hidden beautiful walnut veneer.

With careful paint stripping and patience you can salvage a very nice quality walnut finish underneath.

I used no sandpaper.

You can see the mounting plate for wall mounting these floor mounted speakers. Huh?

You can also see the standard 8 ohm Seas dome tweeter and the non-standard Seas 16 ohm round frame woofer, not horned.

The switch has the non-standard screwdriver switch, not knobbed.

The velcroed frame with it's minimal wooden frame supports the neutral flecked beige linen grille cloth more than adequately.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 years later...
On ‎03‎/‎09‎/‎2012 at 10:27 AM, Dynacophil said:

Hi Vern.. No photos to be seen...

Sorry for not posting photos.

I took a lot of photos, but at too high a resolution to post here.

Here it is 5 years later and I have still not posted them.

There is photo editing software that I am trying to locate to allow me to post them.

The photos of the work are too nice to not complete this article.

The work that was done can be done to any walnut or other wood veneers.

I may remove a woofer to photograph the inside of the enclosure and crossover network and even take some measurements.

Originally I commented that the rear cabinets corners had the metal brackets for hanging on a wall and this wall not as Dynaco had advertised them, despite their light weight.

Dynaco had several times advertised artists conceptions of their products and then altered the final product appearance, sometimes several times.

Till next time.

Vern

• 1 year later...
On ‎14‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 8:46 PM, dynaco_dan said:

Sorry for not posting photos.

I took a lot of photos, but at too high a resolution to post here.

Here it is 5 years later and I have still not posted them.

There is photo editing software that I am trying to locate to allow me to post them.

The photos of the work are too nice to not complete this article.

The work that was done can be done to any walnut or other wood veneers.

I may remove a woofer to photograph the inside of the enclosure and crossover network and even take some measurements.

Originally I commented that the rear cabinets corners had the metal brackets for hanging on a wall and this wall not as Dynaco had advertised them, despite their light weight.

Dynaco had several times advertised artists conceptions of their products and then altered the final product appearance, sometimes several times.

Till next time.

Vern

Here it is a little late, sorry.

It is now 210kb in size rather than the several mb of the original photos.

Vern

Dynaco A-50.pdf

This photo was the most interesting one of all the ones I took.

The underlying walnut veneer is beautiful and it was worth all the effort to remove the paint. 

My comment earlier was because Dynaco was not going to be using the metal corner hanging bracket plates on the A-50's at least.

You would need to really isolate the back of the enclosures from the wall or the wall would now become part of that enclosure thereby over exaggerating the bass.

Yes, you can place rubber or felt pads on the rear of the cabinet.

Thanks, Vern. I've been thinking of mounting my A50s on the wall. I still have the little felt pads that were originally supplied by Dynaco for this purpose, but suspect they won't provide enough isolation. 

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎08‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 9:44 PM, Martin said:

Thanks, Vern. I've been thinking of mounting my A50s on the wall. I still have the little felt pads that were originally supplied by Dynaco for this purpose, but suspect they won't provide enough isolation. 

Hi Martin

I feel that those tiny felt pads are definitely not enough to really isolate them from the wall.

You would need to locate them at least with the tweeter at head height and equally spread along the wall.

It is worth a try at least with maybe a piece of carpet  between the cabinet and wall.

Please report back here with your comments. 

Archived