AR 10-pi pair for sale on eBay

r_laski

>Those cabinets you have coming to you wouldn’t be coming from Sweden would they?<

No, I tried, but the owner discovered that he really didn't want to let go of them. It's just as well - the shipping was going to be a bear.

The ones that are coming are from Skokie, IL. Remember the 10pi parts that were up for auction on Ebay a couple of months ago? The guy had the cabinets and parted them out. Can't imagine that, but he did. I emailed him a comment about a mistake in his item description and in the reply he told me he had the cabinets; no grilles, no fiberglass, no drivers, and the veneer had been damaged. And he wasn't giving that away, either. It's almost like buying a Heathkit only I have to scrounge most of the parts. :-)

"All the upgrades" would include new internal wiring, new metal film capacitors, new 8 gauge air-wound chokes (the ones that would fit), internal cabinet bracing. . . the only thing I wouldn't compromise would be the drivers and they would be compromises, too.

I was hoping we could get-together in August for a birthday party, but this looks more like a wake. . . unless Gemini has the good sense to hire a few folks here at incredibly generous salaries (of course) to decide on a new line of AR speakers, then gives us a gigantic promotional budget. . . I digress.

I was hoping that I could have an "improved" and an "original" pair, (and a blindfold and maybe a borrowed Ansco switcher) to bring with me. I'm not willing to haul a pair of 9s from the deep south to the northeast, but a couple of amps, a couple of pairs of 10pi's; I could do that. At 11 mpg it probably wouldn't cost but about twice what an airline ticket cost. ;-)

Bret

Thanks Bret,

I'll keep you posted on sound quality with drivers in enclosed cabinets.I have request from seller via email for invoice total,which now has been one full day after auction.Remember this seller had zero feedback to check him out.I hope this will not turn out for the worst.

regards,

Troubleshooter

Guest Brian_D

>>It appears that the original surrounds are intact, which is

>very unusual.<

>

>Unless they recently fell through a rip in space-time, I'd say

>it's finitely improbable.

This isn't so hard to believe... My AR 9's are early manufacture, and their surrounds are still in tact (save one small section missing on a woofer where a well-meaning wife tried to vacuum off some lint) That's five of six foam surrounds original to manufacture date.

As long as the speakers are kept from humidity and sunlight, it is very possible for their surrounds to still be in tact.

>As long as the speakers are kept from humidity and sunlight<

Ah. Well, humidity isn't really avoidable here. Here I thought it was ozone that got-'em.

Bret

Archived