Foam crack on advent heritage

ironlake

I had a crack in the foam surrond on one of my advent heritage 8 inch speakers. I took out the speaker and first put some kleenix under the crack to move it up higher, then took a small brush of simply speakers foam sealent and put it on the crack, moved the foam up and down afew times to get the goup in the crack and let it sit over night. The next day the crack had been disolved together like a fine weld and no longer was there. there was evidence of the foam going bad all over so I covered the entier surround. I did this to all the the woofers of the heritage speakers and now the perform just like original. My deep bass had been going over the past years and I beleive the foam was leaking air as now if I push in on one 8 inch woofer the other woofer comes out the same amt that the upper one is pushed in, The cabinet is sealed again.

These speakers are a bitch to refoam as the plastic gasket goes over two metal ridges where the edge of the foam is to be glued and I havent figured out how to glue the foam edge to those ridges yet.

I purchased a new ar 4x woofer for the speaker that is apart and the ar apperas identical and sounds identical so there are new speakers available for the heritage.

Next to my ar 3a,s I like the heritge nes best and it it had the bottom bass of the 3as I would like the heritage best. So I have the best of both speakers, I run one of each on each channel,.

• 1 month later...

I had a crack in the foam surrond on one of my advent heritage 8 inch speakers. I took out the speaker and first put some kleenix under the crack to move it up higher, then took a small brush of simply speakers foam sealent and put it on the crack, moved the foam up and down afew times to get the goup in the crack and let it sit over night. The next day the crack had been disolved together like a fine weld and no longer was there. there was evidence of the foam going bad all over so I covered the entier surround. I did this to all the the woofers of the heritage speakers and now the perform just like original. My deep bass had been going over the past years and I beleive the foam was leaking air as now if I push in on one 8 inch woofer the other woofer comes out the same amt that the upper one is pushed in, The cabinet is sealed again.

These speakers are a bitch to refoam as the plastic gasket goes over two metal ridges where the edge of the foam is to be glued and I havent figured out how to glue the foam edge to those ridges yet.

I purchased a new ar 4x woofer for the speaker that is apart and the ar apperas identical and sounds identical so there are new speakers available for the heritage.

Next to my ar 3a,s I like the heritge nes best and it it had the bottom bass of the 3as I would like the heritage best. So I have the best of both speakers, I run one of each on each channel,.

I have a pair of Heritage speakers. I re-foamed all for woofers about a year ago. The plastic ring you refer to is fairly easy to pop off with a screw driver. They are basically there for cosmetic appearances. Once you pop off the plastic ring the re-foam job is just like any other. When you replace the ring onto the frame you will see there is a couple of tabs that fit into the metal frame. It snaps back into place.

When you applied the foam sealant, did you apply it to the entire foam surround or just the edges?

• 2 weeks later...

Eddie056 is exactly correct. Those trim rings will come right off and will slip back on when you finish refoaming them. I hope this doesn't offend anybody in this forum, but the Heritage woofers seem a lot more potent than one from a 4x. I say that from experience with both speaker models. They're very easy to refoam, too.

Archived