AR9's got my fingers crossed.....

xmas111

Ok, I tried the tape and vacuum with no luck so I ended up trying the little needle trick......worked pretty well!

Thanks guys.

Hard to get a good picture of it but here's how it looks now.

John

post-102118-0-01947600-1340230696_thumb.

Good tip Ben. I've used the vacuum method but must admit it scares the bejeepers out of me--I envision the dome getting torn right off and sucked into the vacuum bag.

But you're right--it Does work!

John--I'd put a tiny dab of glue on the pin hole to seal it.

Kent

Good tip Ben. I've used the vacuum method but must admit it scares the bejeepers out of me--I envision the dome getting torn right off and sucked into the vacuum bag.

But you're right--it Does work!

John--I'd put a tiny dab of glue on the pin hole to seal it.

Kent

Ben that is a good tip. If I ever come across another speaker that has the same problem I'll certainly give it a shot.

Kent....done! thanks.

John

I'm so jealous.

Restoring the AR9s I bought new was such a good experience that I'm just jealous of you guys still getting to do those fun things.

I just dropped in to see who was still around and if there was still any interest in these old girls. First thing, I run across something that makes me nostalgic for the old fun and old friends.

I keep my eyes open for unloved examples to restore, one day, when I get time again. If I get time again.

I'll be doing it mostly just for love, and not for either money or listening. My youngest is about to become a junior in high school, and so I guess in August of 2014 when she goes to college I will finally have some time again.

Then I'm hoping to join you again.

Bret

Bret,

Great to hear from you again! We're all still here, and the interest continues unabated.

Trust me, they'll grow up, get through college, get married and move out on their own. Time? There's always something to impose on your time--you'll never have enough unless you make your own priorities.

The real problem will be HF acuity--a loss of about 500-1000 Hz/year once you hit 50 or so. 16kHz becomes 10k a decade later, then 7k, and then the "Huh?" starts.

Steve F.

Nice to hear from you Diamonds&Rust....

Steve F.....don't remind me about age and hearing, turning 60 this year and I'm sure what I can hear anymore.... guess if the tweeters go I won't have to worry about it...or even know :lol:

Finished refoaming all the woofers and lower mids. They all feel good by the three finger push test.

Should have the caps tomorrow to start rebuilding the xovers.

I'm really getting excited to get these babies back up and running so I can compare them with my original set.

John

post-102118-0-07335900-1340833818_thumb.

Nice to hear from you Diamonds&Rust....

Steve F.....don't remind me about age and hearing, turning 60 this year and I'm sure what I can hear anymore.... guess if the tweeters go I won't have to worry about it...or even know :lol:

Finished refoaming all the woofers and lower mids. They all feel good by the three finger push test.

Should have the caps tomorrow to start rebuilding the xovers.

I'm really getting excited to get these babies back up and running so I can compare them with my original set.

John

Here's a DIY test

http://www.freemosquitoringtones.org/hearing_test/

I tested to 15 Khz using Sony MDR V6 headphones, 16 khz using Radio Shack headphones. It isn't clear if this limit is due to my hearing, the headphones, or the sound card in my laptop. I'm almost 64 years old. My hearing is much better than it ought to be. I've been careful to prevent being exposed to loud noise. If a tweeter doesn't work, I'll know it.

One caveat about those mosquito tone tests. Audiologists define your ability to hear frequencies using standard tones at standard volume levels. It is possible to hear those mosquito tones yet still be considered unable to hear the specific frequency if you are playing them at elevated levels compared to lower frequencies. When I play those tones, I can hear them all the way to 21kHz, yet my most recent real hearing test topped off at 17kHz.

I'm constantly amazed at the number of Forum members well over the age of 50 who claim that "I'm the exception, I hear to 17kHz" or whatever the amusingly unrealistic figure-du-jour is.

Right. That's why the standard "is the tweeter working" test is a paper towel tube, to isolate and concentrate the HF into an audible stream. That wasn't necessary at all when we were 22 years old, reduced classic AR tweeter levels or not. We could hear 'em clearly then, without any tube assistance.

My last hearing test was several years ago, around age 50 or 51 and I was good into the lower-mid teens. I have absolutely no intention whatsoever of having my hearing retested now. I'm happy with my deception.

Steve F.

I find I don't need the paper tube if I put my ear directly in front of the dome a foot or closer. Any further away and it becomes hard to tell whether tones are coming from the tweeter or the mid, and further away than 2 or 3 feet it becomes impossible. I could be wrong, but I think that's the way a 3-way speaker is supposed to work, isn't it? With actual music coming from all drivers, I've never been able to tell what comes from what driver except the lowest bass. That hasn't changed for me since I was in my 20s.

While my ears can still detect tones up to 17kHz, what I have lost is auditory discrimination, the ability to distinguish between different tones and to pick tones out from background noise. IOW, I can hear 12kHz, 15kHz or 17kHz tones but I can't tell them apart, and my speech discrimination scores about 60%, which means that if there's any background noise (including music) when someone is talking I will not be able to make out two of every five words. So while my music listening experience is still very close to what it was 30 years ago, anytime anyone wants to talk to me when it's on, the mute button is an absolute necessity. My EENT tells me that this is a normal pattern for hearing loss resulting from age with no additional damage from past infections or exposure to excessive sound levels, so a lifetime of religiously using heavy duty industrial hearing protection has paid off.

• 4 weeks later...

Just to update you guys with the AR9 rebuilding.

Haven't spent to much time on them lately....after all it is summer and I love being outside working in the yard, golfing....etc...

The first crossover is complete. I did it a little differently this time around. I wanted to keep it kinda original looking so I decided to restuff the three big can caps.

I used my hand held coping saw and cut of the top off of each can then removed the guts. Then placed the new Bennic NP caps inside.

The though one was the 2500µF cap. Had to remove ALL the black junk inside and I mean all of it so the three Bennics would fit.It was a tight tight fit.

I got some 2" and 3" clear heat shrink tubing off ebay and used it to put the cans back together. The heat shrink tubing has a pretty heavy wall thickness so there's plenty of strength to it.

Worked out pretty well.

A couple of the cans I drilled holes through the inside connector tabs and used screws to rewire it. The last one I decided to drill through the rivet holding the connector together and fed the leads form the new cap through the holes and solder them to the solder tab....that worked pretty well too.

I placed a label on the side of each can saying they were restuffed....so the next guy who owns these knows they're not the original caps.

The other board with the smaller caps has the glue holding the caps in place without any wire wraps. I always like to use a mechanical fastener system to hold anything in place where possible.

I cut small pieces of wood and and screwed a wire tie mount on each one then drill a countersunk hole through the board for each cap (making sure it wasn't in the exposed area of the banana jacks). Glued the little pieces of wood to the board then used a countersunk screw to hold them secure. Seems to hold the caps firmly in place. I circled the five screws in the picture.

Now I've got to get started on the other crossover......some time in the future.

Here's some pics for you guys.

John

post-102118-0-61311300-1343079314_thumb.

post-102118-0-48059900-1343079321_thumb.

post-102118-0-98859000-1343079326_thumb.

post-102118-0-50633200-1343079331_thumb.

post-102118-0-59818400-1343079338_thumb.

post-102118-0-13345300-1343079343_thumb.

post-102118-0-34417500-1343079348_thumb.

post-102118-0-11889900-1343079355_thumb.

post-102118-0-09111700-1343079374_thumb.

post-102118-0-88827100-1343079378_thumb.

post-102118-0-54562900-1343079522_thumb.

Nice!

Thanks for the photos. If you've seen my KLH Eight restoration guide you know I re-stuff the 4-part power supply can cap on that. Cutting with a coping saw must be rough. I use a cutting wheel in a Dremel tool. And I've been putting them back together with epoxy, but your heat shrink solution is very elegant and clever! In radios and amps some caps are insulated like that and some are not, depending on whether the can is supposed to be grounded to the chassis. When I restored a Dynaco ST-120 I found cans the right size but they were bare, while the originals were insulated. I wrapped them in electrical tape but your heat-shrink tubing is WAY better!

Don't know that I'd go to all that work for a crossover, inside the cabinet, that you hope no one will see, but I applaud your effort to keep it original.

On a tangential note, my radio tech tells me my restorations are not authentic because I replace the paper caps with new poly film. Guess we all have different thresholds for authenticity vs function. C'est la vie.

But back to the subject at hand: Very neat, authentic looking and workmanlike. Nice work!

Kent

Hi Kent,

Your KLH Eight restoration guide is as professional as it gets. I've looked at it many times.....thinking maybe I'd try and pick one up someday. I remember seeing those radio's back in the day and always thought they very cool looking.

I agree with you about "authenticity vs function".

That's why I said "kinda original". I just think the big can caps in the 9's look cool as hell and that's why I wanted to keep them......that's all.....and besides what do radio techs know! :lol:

And who's ever going to know what I did besides the next poor guy who decides to recap them and see's what I did and says...WTF! :wacko:

John

• 1 month later...

I'm constantly amazed at the number of Forum members well over the age of 50 who claim that "I'm the exception, I hear to 17kHz" or whatever the amusingly unrealistic figure-du-jour is.

Right. That's why the standard "is the tweeter working" test is a paper towel tube, to isolate and concentrate the HF into an audible stream. That wasn't necessary at all when we were 22 years old, reduced classic AR tweeter levels or not. We could hear 'em clearly then, without any tube assistance.

My last hearing test was several years ago, around age 50 or 51 and I was good into the lower-mid teens. I have absolutely no intention whatsoever of having my hearing retested now. I'm happy with my deception.

Steve F.

LOL Steve!!!!! I had my hearing tested some 10 years ago and was dismayed to find out BOTH ears tested was "flat" to 3K, then rolled off gradually after that (think 8K was the highest test frequency). I resist new testing because I don't want to more depressed about getting "older". There was a time when I used CD's containing test tones. If I couldn't "hear" the upper frequencies, I'd blame it on the CD.

I STILL can tell if a tweeter is "blown" or hear "high frequency" distortion. And thats a good enough "test" for me.

Finally finished the 9's..... :)

They Sound a good as my original 9's......which is damn good! :D

As it turns out one of the tweeters was dead. Luckily I had two AR9 tweeters laying around. I bought a couple of back up tweeters years ago just in case but never had to use them.

I found a nice way to install the woofers (which can be a pain in the ass on these things). Took two 3" 10x24 screws and cut the heads off. Then screwed them in the top two holes. Slid the woofer over the two screws then easily put the rest of the screws in.

I ended up buying some 1/8" ship wrapping foam and cut the gaskets out of it. Seems to seal quite well. Original had some 1/16" foam but felt it was a little to thin.

The foam inserts around the tweeters and mids were long gone when I bought them so I ended up getting some 1/4" black foam from Walmart and made new inserts. I know it's not acoustic foam buy at least they look original.

They're sitting in the middle of the basement which obviously isn't the best location for these but still sounded awesome.

Now for the hard part......cutting the holes in the ceiling so I can stack 'em...... :ph34r:

Now on to the 3a's I picked last weekend.....

Few pics for you.

John

post-102118-0-19618300-1348266434_thumb.

post-102118-0-35379300-1348266477_thumb.

post-102118-0-71180100-1348266935_thumb.

post-102118-0-74713900-1348266940_thumb.

post-102118-0-16372900-1348266946_thumb.

post-102118-0-34164900-1348266951_thumb.

Archived