Help! -- No MidRange Sound /AR-5 Restoration

jarussel

I am restoring a pair of AR-5s. Installed new L pads; am positive I wired them right; put in new Dayton Caps; fired the damn thing up and nothing -- I mean nothing out of the midrange. I've included a picture below of the new crossover/L-Pads. I've done a pair of 3As -- which work great. It's not the midrange -- it worked fine before. Any suggestions? Could it be to connection from the coil wire to the mid-Lpad? I soldered a connecting wire to give me more room. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Short of redoing everything, I'm not sure how to proceed -- except maybe just re-solder all the connections on the mid LPad?

post-120091-0-81127900-1338846116_thumb.

make sure you have removed some of the mid coil coating by using a knife and scrape down until you see more of the copper of wiring this will make sure you have good bonding connection to your add on wire.

I did it -- took care of the problem. Scraped off the red stuff the coil wire. Now I have a new problem -- I put new L pads in my second AR-5 and now nothing out of the damn tweeter. If it isn't one thing it's another. The tweeter is fine -- something wrong with damn wiring, I guess. I repeat by call for help -- ON MY NEW PROBLEM.....

recheck the solder connection at your center B Terminal of the L-pad of Tweeter that solder connection looks questionable from photo also recheck the connection Terminal (2) of Tweeter L-pad where you have spliced the green wire to the Yellow under the black tape

Did you connect the wires correctly? The original pots had terminals marked B,1 and 2. The L-pad terminals are marked 1,2,3. Here is the "conversion:"

0riginal B = 2 on L-pad

Original 1 = 3

Original 2 = 1

Hope this helps.

Kent

I put in a new volume control just like one ones pictured her and it reverse the leads to the speakers so I have to reverse the terminals for proper phase. something is different on these pots. I connected the wire to the bottom lead on the original pot to the center lead and the outside leads to the same outside connections as the original pot. what did I do wrong? Now on the backi 0 is + and 1 is -

Archived