Sources for non-inductive resistors for use in XO's

Here is a google search for non-inductive resistors, over 6,000 hits. You will note there are a bunch that have aluminum cases. In a XO enviroment it isn't going to make any difference function wise but they sure look cool. I suppose, for entertainment, you could get poetic about the improvements these metal cased resistors cause in Sonic Burger sounds, Doritos crunch zoomers, and beer mug lip smacking in order to cause Audiophiles to make a run on them. And the first outfit to come out with such a resistor in a solid gold, silver, Polonium, or perhaps an Illudium Q-36 case will be able to charge thousands of dollars for each one ;):D

http://www.google.co...kG&start=0&sa=N

You are exactly right. I am a real noob when is comes to audio crossovers. The considerations there are different then I find in my vintage ham radio gear. I have tried to find out but as usual with anything like this there are massive and years long flame wars going. each type carbon, carbon film, oxide, metallic film, wire wound.each with it champion's. I am not even going to mention the battle over who builds the best. I lifted the below photo of a crossover of unidentified speaker, note all of the carbon film resistors bundled in parallel.

Hi there

Interesting seeing these smaller resistors used in parallel.

In the AR library there is a members switching arrangement using smaller resistors as well.

With a parallel arrangement to take the heat load rather than sandcast versions, very good quality resistors can be used at an affordable price.

I was reading on a site about crossover design and it said using carbon type resistors gives a speaker a warm vacuum tube sort of sound. The next site points out this is crap that you should use, instead oxygen free depleted uranium. They start to snarl their way through the periodic table of elements finally winding up back where it started, carbon resistors give a speaker a warm, vacuum tube sound. :D

Archived