wanted: AR2ax midranges and pots

michiganpat

looking for a pair of working AR 2ax mids to fill some bare cabinets I bought. I'm also looking at maybe picking up some original mid and hi pots instead of using new L-pads. Let me know what you have via PM here or email at patrickgrossman@yahoo.com. I'm located in West Michigan

thanks,

Patrick

Hi, michiganpat. I am currently restoring some 2ax's as well, but unfortunately have no spare mids to offer you directly. However, it appears someone else might have some mids currently available, albeit a bit $$$$. Still, the price is probably justified (?) because you also get yourself a fine pair of original wax-box caps, too!

http://www.ebay.com/...0#ht_500wt_1108

Best of luck in your search - - - someone will come thru for you.

Michigan Pat: I just completed a 2AX restoration -- new caps, volume controls, refoamed woofers, and new tweeters. Not sure what your tastes are, but the tweeter is a really great addiiton -- got from Larry at Vintage AR. I've got a bunch of pots if you need them -- I'd be happy to send you a set of four if you need them. I'm in the process of doing a 3A restoration and am using the Ohmite pots that won't corrode. Frankly, I should've stayed w/the originals. Let me know.

I've been perusing ebay a bit, and I have a hard time justifying close to or over $50 for a pair of mids that people seem to try get for them....I have 2 working tweeters, so I figured I'd try them out before I switch to the hivis....

michiganpat:

Yeah, I agree with you - - - the price for the mids would be over $70 for the pair including shipping, which sounds too high to me, too - - - I just passed along the info b/c the timing of your post and the auction listing were synchronous. I also agree with your second statement - if you've got two original working tweets, why not use them unless you're seeking a 'different' sound. AFAIK, that tweet was found only in the AR-4 and the 2ax, so I hope you are able to locate a replacement pair. You neglected to mention: have you already located woofers?

jarussel:

You've certainly got an impressive collection of east coast gear out there in California. It's good to hear that you're so satisfied with your replacement tweets for the 2ax, but I am curious about your other statement regarding the 3a's - - - are you stating you wished you'd kept the original pots in the 3a's instead of replacing with Ohmites? I am trying to keep all of my original Aetna-Pollak pots alive and kicking, but I do find the Ohmite replacement solution to be an attractive, even if a bit difficult, replacement option.

The Ohmite controls are bigger than the older pots -- and they need a cover over them to keep the fiberglass dust off them. It means fabricating some kind of plywood cover -- it's just a bit of a pain. It just introduces neater step in the process. Let me know if want the pots, I've got four cleaned.

The Ohmites are a royal PITA (IMHO) and the original A-Ps are absolute crap (again, IMHO but I'm right about that. Even when new they corroded within a year or so).

A plywood box to protect the Ohmites results in reduced cabinet volume. There was a lengthy thread about that awhile back when I was working on my AR3/3a conversion. Here is the thread: http://www.classicsp...topic=5980&st=0

Also--at ~$30 or more each the Ohmites are too expensive! I had several, found on closeout for $8 each but sold all but the 4 I used in the 3a's. Best choice is cheap, reliable L-pads.

YMMV

Kent

Hi there

With that sale including drivers, caps, coils and spring loaded posts you would be getting decent value at that price.

That is if you need or can make use of the other pieces or even sell them off.

These drivers were also used in AR-4 and AR-2X as tweeters.

This should expand your search base.

With all of the DIY A-P pot cleanups, even from the best on this site, I would have to recommend the Ohmite pot.

We now know the history of A-P pots, the Ohmite pot may well be more heavy duty and less trouble prone.

The Ohmites have been used in industry for many years now.

I am almost totally back on the net and will be photographing an idea I have to use for the Ohmite covers.

Another member was using a ventilated plastic manufactured box with a rear cover as a rear shield.

I made the odd comment here and there.

I forgot to mention ot at least ask that person if the box was CSA or UL approved.

My concern has been heat, conductivity and clearances.

If the enclosure was approved, there should be no need for further concern IMO.

As a side note, soon I will write up about a Marantz cabinet I robbed parts from with 3 A-P pots each cabinet.

thanks to those who have made offers on pots. I'm still debating locating original pots or going the L-pad with 25ohm resistor route as described in the 3a restoration guide.

no way am I going with ohmites--too expensive.

Jkent, I'll let you know about your offer next week. too much on my plate right now.

Hi there

If you need to replace your pots, in your $500.00 each speaker, then I don't think that less than 10% of their value is too much for ohmites.

Surplus Ohmites may still be available on the net at a more reasonable cost.

Personally I wouldn't buy reconditioned pots from anyone, no insult intended to anyone here, just not a consistantly repeatable option IMHO.

To do the job for oneself is an attempt to save money obviously and I am not against that.

If one is to do all the work involved themselves and then find that they still have dropout after reassembling everything would be frustrating.

If you buy reconditioned pots, have the seller install and guarantee no dropouts and you have a deal.

Definitely waiting and reading tips here is cheapest and best.

Good luck with your choice.

if I don't buy used original pots, I'm going the route of a $5.50 L-pad with a paralleled $.74 resistor as outlined in the AR3a restoration guide...no $40 ohmite pots for me.

Archived