AR3a versus Heathkit AS103a

I have a pair of AR3a's which were sold by Heathkit as AS103a's. I assembled these in 1974. Do you know if anyone ever did a comparison between the AR3a and the AS103a? Are there any differances? They look identical.

I think this is a great topic .. back in college I had a pair of Heathkit's that looked very similar to the AR-5. You could tell by looking at the rear of the cabinets however that there was something strange about them. The grooves were zig-zagged. If anyone has seen them you'll probably know what I mean.

Mark

>I have a pair of AR3a's which were sold by Heathkit as

>AS103a's. I assembled these in 1974. Do you know if anyone

>ever did a comparison between the AR3a and the AS103a? Are

>there any differances? They look identical.

The Heathkit AS103a's were essentially identical to the AR-3a except for cabinet detail, grill panel, logo and grill-cloth material. The kit had all the individual components, including a pre-wired crossover I believe, and the builder put everything together in the cabinet which resulted in a lower-cost AR-3a in a somewhat bland-looking enclosure. I think it even included the the 5-year AR warranty.

--Tom Tyson

If you have these speakers, and are afraid of buring out the mid-range or tweeter, add a 1 ohm resistor in series with each of these drivers. It works.

Rolf Dekleer

rolf.dekleer@growthworks.ca

Archived