Norman Labs

I have a pair of Norman Lab Model 10s that I need to part with. I no longer have room for them in the condo I recently had to downsize to. I purchased them new in 1982 at a music store in N.Little Rock, AR. I paid $800 for the pair. I was newly out of college, into my first job and really could not afford the price, but after hearing them I couldn't say no either. They beat out the Klipsch horns in my opinion.

They are in very good shape. No modifications. Cabinets are dulled and scuffed, but not scratched and could easily be restored to new condition. I'll entertain reasonable offers. I can take pictures on request. As you make the offer keep in mind that you'll also have to pay shipping on these mothers and they are NOT light at about 70lbs each.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 3/2/2018 at 2:37 AM, raysrx said:

I once owned a pair of these speakers. I bought them around 1978 in Tyler, TX. They were some of the best sounding speakers at the time. I had friends that owned different brands that cost a lot more, but didn't sound nearly as good. Probably the reason I don't have them now is that they were stolen from my apartment in 1981. They were made of solid wood for the cabinets. Trust me, back then, they were top of the spectrum. 

raysrx 

I’m a newbie here and I gotta say this thread/site is awesome! I love learning about the history of these speakers, especially because all my family is from Fort Worth and Oklahoma and I listen to my Norman 11s every day. My dad purchased them in Tyler in the late 70’s/early 80’s and they still work perfect. I’ll try to post a pic of them... I just have to figure out how lol

On 7/18/2019 at 8:58 PM, Breezy said:

I’ll try to post a pic of them... I just have to figure out how lol

Welcome Breezy

To post pictures, resize them to about 100KB or so and maybe about 6 to 8" on the long side.

-Kent

• 4 weeks later...

I've had a stock pair of Model 9 for a year or so. I like them but have been trying to sell them local and on the auction site. They are a lot of speaker for my small space, probably in need of a recap, and as good as they are do not best some other vintage large speakers I have on hand. The rear facing woofer switches on and off with the toggle at the control panel.  

--Tom G

20190130_000426.jpg

20190115_150204.jpg

20190115_150221.jpg

20190115_150026.jpg

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I worked at a store called the Sound Emporium in Lubbock, TX, from 1976 to 1978. We sold Norman Labs speakers. I sold a TON of Norman 8's, a fabulous little speaker, and quite a few 10's. There was also a 9 and 7, also quite good. I liked all the Norman speakers. I met Leonard Bernstein on one of his trips to Lubbock - don't recall if I met you, Jim, but perhaps. i remember your name and knew you had worked at Altec before. Sad to see them go. The Philips tweeter, used in all the Norman's I believe, was really sweet. I remember people coming in and comparing the 8 to the Large Advent fairly frequently. Same size woofer, but the tweeter was an improvement, to my ears, to the fried egg Advent. Long time ago. Good memories.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just had the woofers and the 5 inch tweeter of my Norman Labs 632 towers reconditioned by Allen Reconing in Houston. I purchased the speakers in 1987 from Stereo and Video center in Marshall, Texas. The surrounds had dry rotted and thus needed replacing along with the cones. It turns out that the mid range speaker was glued in place and in the process of repairing the edges of the cut-outs were damaged.

My question is what finishes did the 32 series come in. Mine look like red oak but I am not sure. I would like to get some furniture touch up paint to cover the blemishes. The speaker covers hide the nicks from sight but I still would like to cover them if possible.

My Norman Labs are paired to a Peachtree Audio Nova integrated amplifier which is paired with a Cambridge Audio DAC Magic Plus. Listening currently   to 24/96 files from Qobuz. I am a fan of Big Band and I must say that the Norman Labs really do shine when listening to the likes of Jack Jezzro and his album "Big Band Romance".

Any help with learning what wood finishes the Norman Lab 632's came in would be really appreciated.

Welcome darbonne

Those speakers are rather uncommon so you may not get a reply. Even a Google search turned up very little, although there is some discussion over on Audio Karma. Try posting a clear photo of the wood and the blemishes and maybe we can figure it out. Glenn is the refinishing expert.

Found 2 shots. Nice looking speakers! Those do look like oak but give us some good photos of the grain and the damage. If you're lucky a little Howard Restor-a-Finish may be all you need.

Kent

Norman Labs 1.jpg

Norman labs 2.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hi, I'm a new member.. Dan in SW Oklahoma.. I picked up a couple pairs of Model 14's, and looking for info as well. 

Google led me to this site as well as AK.. 

1 pair are functional, with the occasional issue of resetting the drivers. The other pair need work, I just purchased some tweeters for them but the drivers

are mismatched, one I assume is original and needs at least a refoam, the other is a replacement.. 

I would like to make these as original as possible, does anyone know if oem components still exist..?

20200328_221738.jpg

• 7 months later...
On 5/21/2007 at 3:41 PM, Guest jimbolong said:

I can provide the information you are looking for because I was one of the founders of Norman Labs. The company was started in 1971 by myself and Leonard Bernstein (not the former music director of the New York Philharmonic). I was an engineerng graduate of the University of Oklahoma but was not a student at the time we started the company. I graduated in 1965 and worked in the audio field for a few years, including a stint with Altec, before we formed Norman Laboratories. I handled the engineering and production and Leonard Bernstein handled sales and marketing. We sold the company to an investment group from Ft. Worth, Texas, in about 1981 and I left the company in about 1984. Until I left the company I did all of the design work (including the Model 10 that was mentioned above). The company was sold again a few years later and was closed down about 8 or 10 years ago.

Jim Long

Hello Jim: If you're still out there, we would greatly appreciate a little help setting up our Norman Laboratories Sound Selector. We need to connect multiple systems with multiple speaker sets but have no manual to help us. My shop is on Atchison Drive in Norman Oklahoma. Please email crossdesign@cox.net if you are able to help and I'll send my phone number. Thank You,

• 1 month later...
On 12/2/2019 at 1:01 PM, dainapoo said:

Hi,

I worked at a store called the Sound Emporium in Lubbock, TX, from 1976 to 1978. We sold Norman Labs speakers. I sold a TON of Norman 8's, a fabulous little speaker, and quite a few 10's. There was also a 9 and 7, also quite good. I liked all the Norman speakers. I met Leonard Bernstein on one of his trips to Lubbock - don't recall if I met you, Jim, but perhaps. i remember your name and knew you had worked at Altec before. Sad to see them go. The Philips tweeter, used in all the Norman's I believe, was really sweet. I remember people coming in and comparing the 8 to the Large Advent fairly frequently. Same size woofer, but the tweeter was an improvement, to my ears, to the fried egg Advent. Long time ago. Good memories.

I remember Sound Emporium.  if i remember correctly i bought my Model 8's from Hi-Fidelity in Lubbock sometime around 1976. in 1997 i had a loose wire repaired.  i remember the guy that fixed it tell me these were some of the best ever made.  fast forward December 2020 they are still great.  look new.  RHolder  

• 2 months later...

I started with a pair of 7’s if I remember correctly in about 1978, then traded them in on a pair of model 16’s in 1984. I loved the unique shape and clear sound of the whole line. I just finished refoaming the woofers, and am re-engaging with all my vintage equipment. I have the covers, and the refoam has them sounding great once again. I don’t think these have been hooked up for 20 years....F8AB01DD-ADD3-4428-9A3E-1E58DFC76FB4.thumb.jpeg.ee9576dbbae36e21774a98627e5f03ed.jpeg

• 6 months later...
On 8/14/2019 at 6:19 PM, Tom G said:

I've had a stock pair of Model 9 for a year or so. I like them but have been trying to sell them local and on the auction site. They are a lot of speaker for my small space, probably in need of a recap, and as good as they are do not best some other vintage large speakers I have on hand. The rear facing woofer switches on and off with the toggle at the control panel.  

--Tom G

20190130_000426.jpg

20190115_150204.jpg

20190115_150221.jpg

20190115_150026.jpg

I have these 

On 8/14/2019 at 6:19 PM, Tom G said:

--Tom G

20190130_000426.jpg

20190115_150204.jpg

20190115_150221.jpg

20190115_150026.jpg

I have these

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have a pair of NL #10s that I bought in Little Rock in 1979.  Due to moving around a bit, I had them in storage in their original packaging until 1985.

I was using a Sansui G-7000 (85 w) stereo receiver to power them until 1992 when the Sansui gave up after 15 years.

I recently acquired acquired a completely refurbished Sansui G-7500 (90w) and put my Norman Labs back in service.  They still sound great.  But the Sansui is rated at 8 ohms.

My question is; will the 4 ohm speakers cause any damage to the 8 ohm Sansui?

I always wondered if my first Sansui fried because of the speakers and am concerned about my latest Sansui.

I’ve been checking around online and getting yes and no.

Thanks.