AR-17 Woofer Driver Specs

Hello everyone.

Can anyone provide me with the specs for the woofer drivers in the original AR-17 Speakers (from The ADD/Truth in Listening models (1975-1978)) so I can get a suitable replacement.

Thankyou.

Regards,

sodasyphon

You can get replacement OEM speakers from Layne Audio (see links) or AB Tech Services.

Are you sure that the originals don't just need refoaming? It is a great deal cheaper, and often better than replacements.

Nigel

Thankyou both for your responses.

Now I have more Q's

1. My drivers may well only require re-foaming, is there any way for me to test the condition of the coils?

2. If it is just a re-foaming job, where would I take the drivers to have the repair done, just any quality Audio gear repairers?

3. How much should I expect to pay for a re-foam job?

Thanks for your assistance.

Regards,

sodasyphon

Guest Brian_D

1. If your speakers are still susspended by the foam (that is they are not hanging by the spider, and still have somewhat linear movement) you can test the voice coils by simply hooking them up. Do not play them at loud volumes or low frequencies, just give it 1k and if it makes noise, it's probably fine. If you're nervous about doing this, you can simply measure the resistance across the leads of the speaker. If you get a dead short (pegged needle) then it's bad. Likewise if there's no resistance (no needle movement) it's bad, otherwise you'll need to hook it up. Voice coils tend to fail completely, meaning they either separate, fuse, or the lead breaks. In most cases, if the speaker will make a 1K tone cleanly, the coil is probably fine. Testing, of course, would need to be continued after the woofer is re-surrounded.

2.There are many messages concerning refoaming on this forum. Use the search function for more detail....

Refoaming woofers can be done with a minimum of tools, and only a slight amount of talent. If you can change spark plugs without cracking the ceramics, you can probably do this!

Two websites I like are:

"Curing the Rot" http://www.iwac.se/Vintageaudio/curing_the_rot.htm

and the DECWARE website instructions: http://www.decware.com/surround.htm

If you want to send them off, there are two places suggested by this website, they are Layne Audio and AB Tech. http://www.arsenal.net/speakers/repairs.htm I'm sure either of these shops will do a professional job, as will the Decware shop.

3. Refoaming usually costs between $40 and $60 per pair (plus shipping) depending on the woofer size. On the other hand, to do it yourself would cost only $10 each ($20-$25 for the kit) It's really your choice based on knowledge, ability and if you've got the kajones' to possibly ruin a world-class woofer!

Good luck

Archived