Need Recommendation for local AR Speaker repair

musicman50

Hi,

I am new to this forum, and have been a New England Speaker enthusiast for longer than I care to remember. I have had AR2ax, AR5, KLH5, Advents, AR3a, AR9, AR18s, etc.

Currently I have a bunch (about 10) of AR9 and AR3a woofers and some AR18s woofers that need repair. I am looking for a recommendation of someone in the New England area who can do work on these speakers. I would greatly appreciate any insight that any member could give me with their experience of someone in the New England area who has done quality repair work on these AR speakers.

Thank you.

Dale

Hi,

I am new to this forum, and have been a New England Speaker enthusiast for longer than I care to remember. I have had AR2ax, AR5, KLH5, Advents, AR3a, AR9, AR18s, etc.

Currently I have a bunch (about 10) of AR9 and AR3a woofers and some AR18s woofers that need repair. I am looking for a recommendation of someone in the New England area who can do work on these speakers. I would greatly appreciate any insight that any member could give me with their experience of someone in the New England area who has done quality repair work on these AR speakers.

Thank you.

Dale

Hi Dale

If you are up to the challenge you can re-foam them yourself and save a pile of money.

If you removed the woofers and packaged them up really secure, more advice on that later,

you would have well over 150 pounds of shipping charges roundtrip.

You would then need to receive them and re-install them.

If you do the task yourself then there is no heavy shipping and handling charges to pay.

You can also do the task on your timetable when you have the kits onhand.

At about 150 pounds plus, at least a $300.00 shipping and handling charge roundtrip.

With that quantity a seller of re-foam kits may give you such a deal.

My guess is a single kit of 2 foam surrounds is about $25.00 U$ plus S&H.

The cost of your 5 kits plus a small S&H charge, maybe they may include S&H for your order.

For 10 woofers @ $40.00+/- figure maybe $400.00 & shipping round trip which is not cheap today.

Kits will cost you around $200.00 and maybe less.

I paid less than $5.00 CDN per foam surround through a friend many years ago.

Mailordering a kit usually includes 2 foam surrounds, special glue, shims, instruction sheet and misc little things.

Your package would include 10 surrounds, glue, etc saving you and the seller money.

A lot of collective advice is available here and on the net to help you with the task.

Previous experience helps but is certainly not necessary, I know first hand.

If I can do it so can you, just needs patience and care.

Maybe a friend can assist you and offer support, we certainly can.

Good luck with your choice.

Archived