Audiophile sickness

craig

Just feeling blue about my audiophile syndrom. I just got my A25's back from rehab with mixed results, i like my non rehabbed pair still, seems the rehabbed pair is a little brighter and tighter but the selector switch seems to make less of a difference and that kinda got me down a little. That got me thinking about an old large apartment i used to have when i had dynaco's set up in 4 channel mode, this does not work in small room but this was a rather large long type room, It was one of the best sounds i ever had, people compared it to a sound studio, this was before i got the rotel amp, I was running a hk tp 730 reciver and overall it was better then my 2 channel rotel sound now. Then i started thinking oh ill never have that room again, or ill never have that set up again seeing as it's been tampered with and changed and i no longer have that apartment. This cuases me to loop think and thats probally not good for me. It's almost as if i wanted to prove to the world 4 channel dynaco A25s was to be rekoned with and i cant prove that anymore. Strange as it may seem i love music and lighting and i should probally stick with that. Sometimes being an audiopihle is a bit depressing, still fun to talk about though. I think sometimes audiophiles have to give themselfs a break and just enjoy stuff for what it is or value more important things.

Just feeling blue about my audiophile syndrom. I just got my A25's back from rehab with mixed results, i like my non rehabbed pair still, seems the rehabbed pair is a little brighter and tighter but the selector switch seems to make less of a difference and that kinda got me down a little. That got me thinking about an old large apartment i used to have when i had dynaco's set up in 4 channel mode, this does not work in small room but this was a rather large long type room, It was one of the best sounds i ever had, people compared it to a sound studio, this was before i got the rotel amp, I was running a hk tp 730 reciver and overall it was better then my 2 channel rotel sound now. Then i started thinking oh ill never have that room again, or ill never have that set up again seeing as it's been tampered with and changed and i no longer have that apartment. This cuases me to loop think and thats probally not good for me. It's almost as if i wanted to prove to the world 4 channel dynaco A25s was to be rekoned with and i cant prove that anymore. Strange as it may seem i love music and lighting and i should probally stick with that. Sometimes being an audiopihle is a bit depressing, still fun to talk about though. I think sometimes audiophiles have to give themselfs a break and just enjoy stuff for what it is or value more important things.

Hi Craig

Story time.

Many moons ago I was given an opportunity to work at our local hifi warantee depot for AR, Dynaco, etc.

I started in hifi in 1965, aged 18 and with a cheap and bad stereo system, I was financed up to the eyeballs.

I carried a Consumer Reports issue that listed the AR-4X as the widest range loudspeaker that they had ever tested.

A shyster salesman, a crook, manipulated the listening setup and I was suckered into other equipment.

A week later I was down at another hifi store where there was dozens of smaller speakers on display against a wall.

I was mesmurized by a bigger than life speaker system, it was a pair of AR-4X's.

They definitely could not be identified as a source as the overall impression was a much larger speaker.

That gave me the bug to better my speakers at least.

I went back to the shyster and asked for a trade and he calculated that I would be getting a trade-in allowance and would almost

be paying their list price.

I didn't do the trade.

I kicked myself around more than a few blocks about the deception.

From that point on the AR-4X's were on my mind.

I was an apprentice, financed up to the hilt and with an appetite for them.

The speakers were sold privately a years or so later and I bought AR-4X's.

Now I was really a happy camper.

We would turn off the lights at night and with FM radio we'd say, "doesn't that sound real", more often than not.

In 1969 my never ending thirst for something even better prompted me to buy an AR-3A and another 6 months later.

This was pushing my marriage to the brink but another baby delayed any hostility towards me.

Now in the '70's along came the AR-LST's.

I was able to borrow a pair to try out at home.

I was smitten with them, feeling they were twice as good as the AR-3A's and twice the price.

It didn't matter how much brown nosing I did, I had to return them to the store.

Now I had the LST bug in a bad way.

I bought some raw Dynaco drivers and tried to make an LST equivalent.

AR raw drivers were only available on an exchange basis, even at the warantee depot, to eliminate piracy I guess.

Not being a cabinet maker and not knowing the in's and out's of speaker designing, my project was a failure.

I had the bug still for LST's and 20 years later a beater pair came along and that's all she wrote.

From about 1974 until the early '90's I was out of hifi until the LST's came along.

I never went into another hifi shop from 1974 until a brief visit in 2010.

Maybe if I had heard the AR-9"s or others I may have been bitten again.

Another pair of LST's came along about 10 years ago and I rescued them as well.

I will never forget my first hifi speaker system, the AR-4X's.

Other readers amy have a similar story with other brands as well.

If, in my opinion, if everyone had bought, AR, Dynaco, KLH, EPI, ADC or similar east coast sounding speakers as

their first speaker system, then there would be likely more contented listeners.

I tried the Dynaco Quadaptor 4 dimensional sound setup with the AR-3A's front channel and AR-4X's rear channel.

An enjoyable experience for me.

Archived