Website Updates

administrator

I have started digging deeper into the website to get the layout better organized. Check out the first few "Series" links off the main AR page to see how things are coming. If the link descriptions are not self-explanatory enough, I will be adding comments just below them .. you will see examples of this is the first few updated "Series" sections.

While going through this drill I noticed the AR electronics material is pretty sparse .. does anyone have original manuals, brochures, etc. for the original models?

Mark

Just added more information to the AR 303 series area.

Also, the ADD/Truth In Listening section is now up. I have started populating this section with some of Steve F's recent contributions. I am going to continue to follow Steve's suggestions on layout to better organize the information here. Each time I make updates you will see this take shape.

Mark

Mark,

Nice job so far on all the new material! I have more stuff, but I'll pace it so you don't get overloaded.

I'm having trouble downloading the zip files on my Mac G3 8.6 at home, even though I have Zipit, and other Zip files open up just fine. I get a "broken film" icon on screen. Maybe Bruce D. can comment. I have an ATT broadband cable internet connection.

At work on my G4 9.2, there's no problem.

BTW, "TSW" stood for "Titanium Solid Wood," in reference to the tweeters and cabinets, not Titanium "Steel" Wood.

Steve F.

>While going through this drill I noticed the AR electronics

>material is pretty sparse .. does anyone have original

>manuals, brochures, etc. for the original models?

>

>Mark

Mark, nice site! I just discovered it while researching info on my vintage 1978 AR17's I plan to sell ...

I have the original "Owner's Instruction Manual" (11/1977) which covers the AR11, 12, 14, 15, 17, and 18. I didn't see this in your documents; let me know if you'd like a scan, and what format you'd prefer it in.

Craig

Guest Brian_D

Broken Film Icon for a Zip file? I think PC exchange is confused. Open PC exchange and make sure that .zip files are associated with your unzipping program, and then restart.

If that doesn't work, the file could be compressed using a newer codec than your software can handle. I always use Aladdin expander, it seems to open everything short of .arj files!

I would start by reinstalling the software you have, and if that doesn't work, install another expander. Zipit is good, and I like Aladdin expander, but there are lots out there. www.download.com is the best place for most free stuff.

Bruce? Bruce D., sounds like Bruce Lee. It's okay, if you knew what the D stood for, you could have all kinds of fun!

>"Maybe Bruce D. can comment."

>

>Oops! Sorry, Brian.

>

>Steve F.

Here's the latest version of the AR page:

http://168.143.114.212/speakers/ar/ar.htm

The "Additional Information" section should eventually drill down to only a few areas as I continue to refine the organization of all this great material.

There are a couple areas where AR brochures differ from Steve F's timeline, ever so slightly .. so we'll have to talk about that soon after I get more done. For example, there is some interaction in the AR material between the "un-classic" and "vertical / high tech" series. I'll point out the models soon, unless you guys beat me to it. ;)

Mark

Just got the AR LS and B series brochure online .. another great contribution from Steve F!

http://168.143.114.212/speakers/ar/Unclassic/Unclassic.htm

I resized the images to 1024x768 as people have complained about higher resolutions. Unfortunately in doing this some detail is lost, but I just ran off a test print and the text was readable so I think this will be an acceptable resolution, albeit with some loss of detail due to image compression. (I am keeping the original scans for those that need them.)

Mark

>

>There are a couple areas where AR brochures differ from Steve

>F's timeline, ever so slightly .. so we'll have to talk about

>that soon after I get more done. For example, there is some

>interaction in the AR material between the "un-classic" and

>"vertical / high tech" series. I'll point out the models

>soon, unless you guys beat me to it. ;)

>

>Mark

You're quite correct, the Vertical/High Tech series did live at the same time as the first 48's, etc.

BTW, I was just being a little sarcastic when I referred to the "8" series as the "un-classic" series. To my mind, this is when AR first started to slide downhill, even though the early 8's were pretty good speakers. So to illustrate my feelings that this was the start of AR's marketplace demise, I called the 8's the "un-classic" series in contrast to the truly classic original speakers of 1954-1974. However, I certainly wouldn't use "un-classic" as any kind of official identifying name for this product family.

Steve F.

Few points:

Actually, MGC belongs to "Research Series"

Limited Series, Cello (Mark Levinson) designed limited 6 EQ

Limited Series, Krell (Dan D'Agostino) designed limited 200 Amp

Limited Series, Sequerra (David Day) designed limited 2 Pre-amp

and limited 3 Speakers.

Amazing combination had ever made by AR!

William

Can anyone comment on "Research Series" years and models appropriate for inclusion?

Also .. years for the Holographic series?

And finally .. check out the AR section on the new webserver and let me know what you guys think.

Until my domain (arsenal.net) points at the new webserver, you can get to it by using this link:

http://168.143.114.212/speakers/speakers.htm

Mark

>Can anyone comment on "Research Series" years and models

>appropriate for inclusion?

>

>Also .. years for the Holographic series?

>Mark

The Limited 3 speaker was intro'd in early 1992. David Day headed the design team, but industry veterans John Buzzota and Dave Cahill did most of the actual nuts and bolts design work on the speaker.

The Holographic Series followed the TSW product, although that strange Spirit Series was in that time frame also.1990 was the intro year. The M1 bookshelf was pretty well reviewed in Audio magazine and others, the M6 (the "R2D2 speaker," as it came to be called) won a CD Review magazine comparison review test of floorstanding speakers, and Julian Hirsch had some good things to say about the M4. I could look up the dates of those magazines if anyone thinks that old reviews of 1990's-era M Series speakers is of any historical interest.

I'm sure I also have the literature of both the Holigraphic and Spirit Series, but does either qualify as a "Classic" speaker? Not in my book. However, if people want to read about these products for the sake of historical continuity, I'll be happy to send out the info.

Steve F.

I'm pretty sure people would be interested in the M series. It would probably be more accurate to call this website something like the "New England Area Speaker Website" to encompass more recent models, but the current name has been around for so long I wouldn't change it. This information isn't available anywhere else on the web, so I feel a sense of duty here. Ok, maybe that's taking things too far. :)

On a related note .. thanks to Richard we now have an excellent Holographic Imaging (aka M series) brochure online.

http://168.143.114.212/speakers/ar/ar.htm

Mark

Archived