Used pair of large Advent woofers with strange looking surrounds

lws_junior

Hi. I have purchased a pair of the Origional Large Advent Walnut cabinet speakers. The woofer surrounds are in great shape and will not need to be replaced. Who ever replaced the surrounds did a professional job. Strange though these woofers have the origional masonite ring but the surrounds on these speakers are rolled upwards and glued to the top of the masonite ring (opposite of what you would normally see). They look like the surrounds on the smaller advents (based on photos I've viewed) but made to fit this woofer. Have you ever heard of this? Also the dust caps are much larger than normal. Approx 3'' across.

Also I have another origional large Advent which I refoamed myself about six years back. I've recently noticed that about 50% the masonite ring has become detached from the metal frame. What type of adheasive would I use to glue the ring back? Thank you.

Well, whoever refoamed that pair of Advents may have done a "professional" job but they did it wrong.

The surrounds on a masonite woofer should be installed so the inner flange of the surround is in front of the cone edge and the outer flange is behind the masonite ring. The roll should be concave as you face the front of the woofer (poking away from you).

Operationally, it may not make a lot of difference if the speakers are operated at low volume levels but the cone is not going to be where it is supposed to be in its forward/backward travel.

Whoever did the job was just lazy and didn't want to deal with working behind the masonite ring.

If the drivers were mine, I wouldn't be able to leave them that way. For one thing, the roll facing out may hit the grille cloth or rub on the inner edge of the masonite ring.

As far as the loose masonite ring on your other pair, Advent used two different adhesives. One, which is the vastly more common one, is a kind of "Liquid Nails" type cream colored adhesive. The other one was a reddish glue and that is the type that usually lets loose. I have one pair that originally had that type of adhesive on the rings and they both came loose.

I used a brushable car body sealer I had handy for mine but I would try to find a glue like the "Liquid Nails" type. Maybe even "Liquid Nails" itself.

I suppose a contact cement would work well too.

And welcome to the Classic Speaker Advent forum.

Doug

Thanks Doug. I thought that would be the case but had to ask. I see what you mean regarding the cone is not going to be where it is supposed to be in its forward/backward travel. Why do you suppose the dust caps are so large (3 1/2")? . Perhaps the origional caps were cut to shim the voice coil and this lazy person decided not to clean up his mess thus covering it up with a larger cap.

I can grab a tube of liqiid nails from the hardware store. I believe by using my finger and a popsicle stick I can adhere the masonite ring back to the frame.

I have four large walnut Advents. I'm selling two of them. I now believe the two in which I'll sell will include the two woofers I mentioned with the surrounds not installed correctly but actually I'm not sure. It depends on what it looks like under those huge dust caps.

The other two woofers I had refoamed about six years ago and are the two woofers from my origional large Advents I purchased back in 1979. Actually I did one myself for the first time. I didn't do the neatest job but they work. I applied to much glue to the inside of the surround and it looks kinda messy and the glue isn't clear but rather a tan color. Is there a way to remove this excess glue and make the cone look nicer?

MY other Advent woofer was refoamed by a professional and looks good. This is the woofer which the masonite ring came loose from the frame.

Thanks.

Yeah, the original dust caps must have been cut or removed to shim the VC and larger ones were installed after. If the replacements are the same type, gauze type material so there is a controlled amount of air leakage, it doesn't really matter that they are larger.

If they are solid paper instead of gauze, it may affect the sound of the upper range of the woofer because the cap will have different dispersion characteristics and impede the controlled air leakage.

If that tan glue is a solvent tpye, you may be able to clean the excess off with lacquer thinner or acetone. If it's water based, you're probably out of luck because trying to use water to soften it would probably ruin the cone if the water gets on it.

Good luck.

Doug

Thanks for pointing out the two kinds of dust caps. At close inspection it appears that the large 3.5" dustcaps are of the paper type. They have a different feel and texture compared to my other advents which have their origional caps. Oh Well. I suppose I'll send them to Simply Speakers (or a more prefered place) for new surrounds and caps. I'm hoping they can clean up the cone after removing the large caps. A black cement was used for the surrounds and caps. Not sure what type of glue this is. Today I purchased a small tube of Liquid Nails and a bottle of goo-gone. Hopefully I'll be able to get my origional woofer cleaned up and back in operating condition. Thanks.

A good way to see if dust caps are the cloth/gauze type is to shine a flashlight at them. If they are that type, you will be able to see the magnet pole piece in there. If paper, you won't be able to, of course.

Doug

Thanks. I'm learning a lot here. Those huge dust caps are paper. You would thing that if someone took the time to do such a professional job refoaming these that they would do it the correct way.

Rather than sending these in for refoaming I've decided to just go ahead and place them back into their cabinets then sell them. I'll keep my two origional large walnut Advents. The one woofer where the masonite ring became detached I managed to glue back using liqid nails. I thought the liquid nails would be a tan color but instead it was white. Doesn't matter as long as it holds. The duct tape residue across the masonite ring wouldn't come loose using goo gone so I decided to carefully use 100 grit sandpaper. Then lightly used 400 grit. They now look pretty good. If the liquid nails was black in color I'd say they almost look new. My other Advent woofer (the one I made a sloppy mess of refoaming) has a big gouge in the ceramic ring towards the outer edge. Not quite sure how to fix this. In the meantime I'll sand the rough edges to make it look somewhat neater.

Oh yeah I need to ask. When using the goo gone I accidently dripped a single drop onto the cone and surround (I need to slow down). I tried to gently wipe the spots using a wet microfiber cloth but the spots are still there. Do I have anything to worry about? Thanks

Bob

Thanks Doug for your help.

As mentioned I'll be selling the two large walnut Advents and for a very good price. I live in Omaha Ne. and I'll be posting them on Craigslist as soon as I take a few photos of them. I'll be selling them for $50.00 each so if someone wants to take the time to replace the surrounds and dust caps on the woofers this is still a hell of a deal. The tweeters are in great shape. The cabinets are in very good shape with one cabinet having a small ding on the lower front left. The grills are in fair to good condition. I'll post a few pics as soon as I take them.

Local pickup only. I won't be able to ship them as I'm partially disabled so I won't be able to box them up however I might part them out and ship them if the price was right. I can handle the woofers and tweeters.

I still have my two origional large walnut Advents and that's all I need. Thanks.

Robert

Archived