What do you do in the "real world"?

administrator

Great Post! I work for the Post Office here in Cincinnati, Ohio. I own 2 pairs of AR9LS's. Got both pairs from the original owners, my first pair has been in my system for almost 20 years now. The 2nd pair entered the picture last year. I replaced all of the drivers in my #1 pair with AB Tech Services replacement woofers and midranges several years ago and refoamed the #2 pair recently. I plan on keeping them FOREVER!

I'm an industrial hygienist. That is I do enviromental health and safety work. I specialize in metal processing plants,coal mining. I'm also a member of a national mine rescue and response team. On that team I specialize in coalmine fires and explosibility testing.

I'm just a plain old speaker fan. I love anything stereo related old or new, good or bad.

ED

>On that team I specialize in coalmine fires and explosibility testing. <

Were you involved in that very high-profile rescue relatively recently?

See? Everyone has such interesting lives. Stressful but rewarding.

My mother is "proud to be a coal miner's daughter," from WV. I know your work is important from the number of my relatives who died as a result of not having your services/expertise many years ago.

Bret

> As a matter of fact, I just gave the 8100/8300 pair away to a co-worker this past December, after 23 years of perfect service, complete with the original packing, owner's manuals, optional walnut side panels (complete with THEIR own original boxes!), and the original Kenwood 4-page color lit for the amp and tuner<

It's been a long time since a car of yours has been able to fit in the garage, hasn't it?

I'm one to talk. My AR9 boxes are in the storage room. (1979-____) But a few months ago I did finally throw-away the box (complete with formed-foam pads and the original shipping plastic) to a 19" TV set I haven't had since about 1989.

Bret

HEY

I live close to WV. I live in Pittsburgh, PA. I did not go to the one where the nine men were trapped. Since, that was flooding and I deal with fire and explosions, I didn't go. I was on standby for a few days.

I 've been to a lot of odd things, the pentagon 9/11, flight 800 crash(off NY), train car explosions, barrels dug up in the ground and on & on.

I do alot of work in WV due to the number of coal mines in the state.

ED

Guest jean-pierre

Hello

Excuse me but my english is so unpretentious I answer in french (perhaps it's difficult in this period !).

Je suis français et je possede depuis plus de 20 ans une paire d'AR LST "manufactured" in USA.

Je n'ai jamais trouvé de meilleures enceintes que celles-ci malgré plusieurs autres essais (JBL, KEF ...).

Il y a quelques mois j'ai fait exécuter par un ébéniste un nouveau placage en bois clair avec des tissus noirs pour leur donner un "coup de jeune" et j'ai fait fabriquer des pieds en marbre blanc.

Tous ces travaux n'ont fait que modifier le look des enceintes sans dénaturer leur son qui demeure, à mon goût tout à fait inégalé (même auprès de systèmes coutant aujourd'hui plus de 10.000 € (1 € = 1 $).

Mon système est composé de :

- ampli préampli Mc Intosh MC2800

- cd Teac VRDS 10 SE

- tuner Kenwood L1000T

- LP player Garrard 401 + SME 3012 + Shure V15-V MR

One more time excuse me to write in French.

Nice to read you for your opinion.

Jean-Pierre

scientific photographer for a med school. listen to my 11Bs with a thorens

td 166 Mk II and my luxman integrated/tuner combo. bought all of it used.

sounds better than friends' systems at 2-3 times the investment. sweet...........

• 7 months later...
Guest MNelson

I would like to thank every person that contributes to this forum in advance.....your advice and shared infomation has been of great value to so many of us.....Thanks....

.....On to the question at hand....What do I do for a living??????

A better, more appropriate question might be... What do I do to earn the money I spend on vintage stereo equipment????

To do justice to this question I must turn the clock back several decades... At the insistance of my departed father I followed in his footsteps and graduated with a BSEE from the University of Texas at Autin in 1977. I spent 9 months at a job that I truely hated with the Federal Gov.....Realizing that I had become an engineer only bacause that's what "dear ole dad" wanted me to be..I returned to Central Texas and persued a lifestyle that included many, many odd jobs one of which was -- substitute teacher-- along with carperter, cook, pizza delivery. The 18 months that I spent bumming around Austin in the late '70s had finally given me direction that I had so lacked previously. The days I had spent substituting opened my eyes to what I needed out of life--- A paycheck, plenty of time off, and all the stimulating conversations you can handle with 12 & 13 year old kids.

One semester back at UT (Hook 'Em Horns) and I had a career that suited me to a tee....

I've been teaching junior high math for 24 years.......mnelson

Guest jbangelfish

Been a fireman in Rockford IL for 23 years, known as the murder capital of the US. Hey, I don't have to live there and I choose not to. Before this job, was in the Army, ran heavy equipment and milked cows until going broke in the late 70's.

Have been interested in music as long as I can remember, growing up with my Dad playing pipe organ in a local church. He went on to do this as a part time job for nearly 50 years.

Besides stereo and music, hobbies include fishing, HO trains and collecting everything from antique marbles, sports cards, to old coins and paper money and other collectables. Also have a strong interest in genetics which has carried over into breeding fish, birds and creating new varieties of plants, especially lilacs. My wife thinks I collect stereo equipment but I don't look at it as collecting.

Great post, interesting to see what we all do. Thanks,

Wow, what a diverse group. I'm a quality engineer with the largest wet laid nonwovens company in the world located in Connecticut. Been interested in speakers since the late 80's and have upgraded a few AR's among others during my spare time at home. You'll find some photos and schematics of the KLH model 5's I've contributed to the Classic Speaker pages. I have a little side business repairing and upgrading speakers.

http://home.att.net/~spkrdtr/index.html

Also, am secretary of the Connecticut Audio Society

Carlspeak

:-)

Guest russwollman

Right now I keep myself in old loudspeakers and good food (crucial, almost as important as speakers) by restoring a 1939 Apartment Building with Sixty-Two Small and Charming Apartments. In the distant past, I was a bicycle mechanic and a photographer. Since 1989 I have been a teacher of the Transcendental Meditation technique. More recently I've been a returning college student, a bit of an actor, and bit of a writer. As an aside, I have another favorite icon: a 1965 Lincoln Continental 4-door convertible. I don't really like cars any longer. They wreak havoc. But the Lincoln is so beautiful that it transcends its inherent nature. It makes people smile. And I am in favor of anything with similar effects...

Archived