New and vintage combined

Hi was just curious how many people have experimented with new and used mixtures, i remember finally deciding what speakers i liked after i upgraded my amp to a budget rotel power amp rb980bx, i had tried rotel in the past and was not happy, but this new budget rotel seems really nice for the money. They power a pair of dynaco A25's really love the mixture, im sure my pre amp is the weak point so i wont mention it. :)

Lets see

Old AR90s

Old Heathkit AA-1800 power amp (2)

Rogue Audio 99 Preamp with NOS Sylvania tubes (New as in currently available)

Marchand XM24 crossover with NOS RCA tubes (New as in currently available)

A Technics SL-10 linear turntable. Was new when I bought it in the 80's.

Denon DCM 560 CD player

I'm giving serious thought to selling the reel to reel, spectrum analyzer and Heathkit Pro Series preamp and FM tuner. We're in a "dead zone" and FM is difficult to receive.

How's that for a mix of old and new?

Lets see

Old AR90s

Old Heathkit AA-1800 power amp (2)

Rogue Audio 99 Preamp with NOS Sylvania tubes (New as in currently available)

Marchand XM24 crossover with NOS RCA tubes (New as in currently available)

A Technics SL-10 linear turntable. Was new when I bought it in the 80's.

Denon DCM 560 CD player

I'm giving serious thought to selling the reel to reel, spectrum analyzer and Heathkit Pro Series preamp and FM tuner. We're in a "dead zone" and FM is difficult to receive.

How's that for a mix of old and new?

Very interesting mix, i have kind of a budget mix though a lot of my gear has mid range tube emulation but none of it is tube. Rotel rb980bx power amp ( bought used im guessing its around 2003 model ) harmon kardon 730 reciever that i use as a pre-amp ( 1977 works as tuner as well ) dbx dx 5 cd player with duel dac's and compression diar ambient controlls that can be turned off ( strange cd player but it sounds nice ) dual 1229 Q turntable ( needs some work but has potential) dynaco A25 speakers (1968-1971)love em the most. i have some other speakers as well but not being used currently. your pre amp sounds very interesting to me is it all tube ?

The preamp is a current model I picked up used, but barely a few years ago. It is all tube with the tube phono option. There are probably better units on the market, but not for this price.

http://rogueaudio.com/Products_99.htm

My old amps (one I built in the 80's) are still amazing and are still the best solid state amps I've listened to.

I have a mix of old and new that is sounding fine to me.

My main system is a Pioneer SX-1250,AR 9's,Marantz CD5001,Project Debut III with the acrylic platter and AT 120E,Yamaha KX-1200 and Teac X-10R.

A computer also outputs all my FLAC files to the 1250.

There is also a SX-980,ADS L-810's,Technics SL-Q350 and Yamaha KX-630 that gets occasional use.

Nothing high end but they make me smile listening to music on them.

And to me that's what this whole hobby is all about. :D

The preamp is a current model I picked up used, but barely a few years ago. It is all tube with the tube phono option. There are probably better units on the market, but not for this price.

http://rogueaudio.com/Products_99.htm

My old amps (one I built in the 80's) are still amazing and are still the best solid state amps I've listened to.

sounds like a sweet amp and pre amp for sure, my weak part is my pre amp prob.

I have a mix of old and new that is sounding fine to me.

My main system is a Pioneer SX-1250,AR 9's,Marantz CD5001,Project Debut III with the acrylic platter and AT 120E,Yamaha KX-1200 and Teac X-10R.

A computer also outputs all my FLAC files to the 1250.

There is also a SX-980,ADS L-810's,Technics SL-Q350 and Yamaha KX-630 that gets occasional use.

Nothing high end but they make me smile listening to music on them.

And to me that's what this whole hobby is all about. :D

I passed on a pioneer SX1980 receiver when i was 17, i thought it looked overdone and thought it was hyped and it looked new for 55 bucks, after i passed on it these other guys were all over it, i later found out how much it was worth and passed out. Bad move on my part, never saw another one again. does it have pre amp out jacks ? your pioneer ? just curios

Yes.

The 1250 has pre in and outs.

I will be looking for an amp soon.

The AR 9's are a 4 ohm speaker and not a good match for the Pioneer.

Very interesting, my friend has an all new mcintosh system very expensive and i like the way my rotel dynaco A25's sound over his expensive system, What gives with companies like BW speakers ? So expensive yet the A25s shrug them off like the Bw's forgot something, what good is all this technical range if a speaker cant deliver? What good is a good is a crossover powering a cheaply made woofer ? I know this is swaying from the topic some, I've just noticed my favorite systems involve a mix of new and old and usually a nice turntable.

I think a lot of it has to do with matching components that play well together. I'm blessed that there's a small business in town that believes components should be auditioned in the home where they will be used and allow people to do so at no cost.

I think a lot of it has to do with matching components that play well together. I'm blessed that there's a small business in town that believes components should be auditioned in the home where they will be used and allow people to do so at no cost.

Very good point, i'm sure thats part of it, the rotel power amp works well with both the BW's and the dynaco's but i have a feeling the dynaco's were more engineered for LP then the BW's because they peak and scream too much and the dynaco's just seem to eat it up at low and high points of the music while playing lp. Also i think my pre amp might be more suited to the dynaco's.

This is my 3rd 1250 and always had good luck with them.

The AR 9's are a demanding speaking due to the 4 ohm rating.

Not many amps are stable down to the 3 ohm load that the 9's can drop to.

The Pioneer sounds fine but the trouble arises when you try to push it to higher volume levels.

This is my 3rd 1250 and always had good luck with them.

The AR 9's are a demanding speaking due to the 4 ohm rating.

Not many amps are stable down to the 3 ohm load that the 9's can drop to.

The Pioneer sounds fine but the trouble arises when you try to push it to higher volume levels.

I've debated on whether or not to acquire a pair of the AR9s and replace my AR90s. Fortunately, (for my wife) a pair hasn't come up for sale locally to force me to make a real decision. I'm very happy with the 90s and can't imagine the 9s being that much different except in the bass delivery. Amp wise, what I have is 2 ohm stable, rated at 250 watts at 8 ohms and 500 watts peak at 8 ohms.

I traded emails with a retired Heaktkit engineer quite a few years ago and according to him, the AA-1800 is really a 350 watt per channel amp but due to FTC requirements, they rated it at 250 watts to compensate for people with poor electronic assembly skills.

Sounds like you already have a great sounding system.

The 9's do have a bit more low end and sounds very natural.

I think that's what has always impressed me,not a boomy bass.

"I've debated on whether or not to acquire a pair of the AR9s and replace my AR90s. Fortunately, (for my wife) a pair hasn't come up for sale locally to force me to make a real decision. I'm very happy with the 90s and can't imagine the 9s being that much different except in the bass delivery. Amp wise, what I have is 2 ohm stable, rated at 250 watts at 8 ohms and 500 watts peak at 8 ohms."

Still trying to figure out the next move on the power requirements.

The best I have heard these speakers sound involved bi-amping with about 200 watts on each end.

Crown and Adcom seem to be suggested as 2 ohm capable units quite often.

Sounds like you already have a great sounding system.

The 9's do have a bit more low end and sounds very natural.

I think that's what has always impressed me,not a boomy bass.

"I've debated on whether or not to acquire a pair of the AR9s and replace my AR90s. Fortunately, (for my wife) a pair hasn't come up for sale locally to force me to make a real decision. I'm very happy with the 90s and can't imagine the 9s being that much different except in the bass delivery. Amp wise, what I have is 2 ohm stable, rated at 250 watts at 8 ohms and 500 watts peak at 8 ohms."

Still trying to figure out the next move on the power requirements.

The best I have heard these speakers sound involved bi-amping with about 200 watts on each end.

Crown and Adcom seem to be suggested as 2 ohm capable units quite often.

If you can find them, the Heathkit AA-1800 is a sleeper of an amp. Very neutral sounding and plenty of power.

• 2 weeks later...

It's funny, I was going to post on this thread, then I realized I don't have anything new in my system anymore. I ran a Rotel de-coding 5.1 pre-amp, Rotel tuner, Rotel cd, and Rotel equalizer, an Adcom 5 channel power amp, into Klipsch Tangent 40's and Advent 3's, for years. Then I switched to a Denon AVR-525 to save some headaches of the individual components. When the overheat latch started tripping, I found a Harmon Kardon 690i receiver at an estate sale for $20. A friend gave me an old Soundcraftsmen SE 450 equalizer. My Luxman DC 113 cd player came from Savers for $3.99, I had to replace the drive belt ("O" ring). And finally, I found a Technics SL-Q 235 turntable with an AT-2002 cartridge at a yard sale for $10. I'm still powering the Klipsch and Advent speakers and it sounds great. I guess Ive become pretty "Old School". I don't know that that is a good thing, but by taking my time and using a little extra gas, I sure have a sweet sounding system on a shoestring budget. The Klipsch speakers did cost me $200 from Ebay, but if things work out, I'll be replacing them with a pair of Advent Loudspeakers I paid $10 for, (circa 1976) soon.

• 2 weeks later...

It's funny, I was going to post on this thread, then I realized I don't have anything new in my system anymore. I ran a Rotel de-coding 5.1 pre-amp, Rotel tuner, Rotel cd, and Rotel equalizer, an Adcom 5 channel power amp, into Klipsch Tangent 40's and Advent 3's, for years. Then I switched to a Denon AVR-525 to save some headaches of the individual components. When the overheat latch started tripping, I found a Harmon Kardon 690i receiver at an estate sale for $20. A friend gave me an old Soundcraftsmen SE 450 equalizer. My Luxman DC 113 cd player came from Savers for $3.99, I had to replace the drive belt ("O" ring). And finally, I found a Technics SL-Q 235 turntable with an AT-2002 cartridge at a yard sale for $10. I'm still powering the Klipsch and Advent speakers and it sounds great. I guess Ive become pretty "Old School". I don't know that that is a good thing, but by taking my time and using a little extra gas, I sure have a sweet sounding system on a shoestring budget. The Klipsch speakers did cost me $200 from Ebay, but if things work out, I'll be replacing them with a pair of Advent Loudspeakers I paid $10 for, (circa 1976) soon.

That's great i got my speakers dynaco A25's with covers still on them for 15 bucks for the pair, i spend 160 to rehab them with new caps and resistors. rotel rb980bx power amp used for 200. Harmon kardon 730 tp receiver that i use as a pre amp, prob the weak part of the system but it actually sounds nice. dbx dx 5 cd player, cool looking heard good things about it not the best or anything but was pretty high end when it came out has excellent tracking, dual 1229Q turntable absolutely insane sounding when it worked right, ( needs some work ) A pair of bw's that i don't use anymore cuz i hate the way they sound unfortunately. A few years back i had this giant place even bigger then this place i had 2 pairs of dynaco A25's for a 4 channel sound, this was before i rehabbed one of the pairs and still i remember that set up was like cheating sound, had flaws but somehow it sounded like one of the best set up's i'v had. Love the estate sale and resale shop finds it's one of the funnest parts about vintage audio to find something most people don't see as nice and getting it for cheap.

Archived