AR 2 Speakers Modified?

lifer70

I just acquired a very nice pair of AR2's. In researching these speakers I noticed the original AR2's had a slot in the grill frame for the mids and tweeters. Mine have the larger (than the woofer) oval that the 2ax's have (see attached pic).

My question is was the large oval for the tweeters put on the later AR2's or is it a good possibility these were modified.

These speakers are in very good condition and I hate ruining the grills to see what is under the hood. I was going to recap them but after auditioning them I think I will hold off for a while. They sound exceptional.

The serial numbers are B36806 and B36817.

I bought them at the local Goodwill for about $10.00. They did not have the logos but did have a yard sale sticker for $4.00 on one and NFS on the other. Looks like the wife won.

I must say I was a little surprised someone gave these up. They really do sound good.

Monte

post-104966-0-22101700-1307938124_thumb.

I just acquired a very nice pair of AR2's. In researching these speakers I noticed the original AR2's had a slot in the grill frame for the mids and tweeters. Mine have the larger (than the woofer) oval that the 2ax's have (see attached pic).

My question is was the large oval for the tweeters put on the later AR2's or is it a good possibility these were modified.

These speakers are in very good condition and I hate ruining the grills to see what is under the hood. I was going to recap them but after auditioning them I think I will hold off for a while. They sound exceptional.

I bought them at the local Goodwill for about $10.00. They did not have the logos but did have a yard sale sticker for $4.00 on one and NFS on the other. Looks like the wife won.

I must say I was a little surprised someone gave these up. They really do sound good.

Monte

Those are some beautiful speakers! Congratulations on your find. Those look like AR2axs to me but I'm no expert. If they are the 2axs they're an

even better find. There are more friendly people here willing and anxious to help than on any other forum I've visited. Someone will be along shortly to answer your questions.

Monte

Hi there

What I have done in the past is shine a flashlight through the grille cloth in a dark room.

You get to see which drivers you have and still leave the old grille cloth on.

Hi Monte

They may indeed be AR2s. Those are 2-way speakers with a woofer and a double, angled tweeter array. See this site: http://hificollector...earch-ar-2.html The slot you refer to was for the double tweeter--no mid in the AR2.

Since you have the SN, I assume you have the complete labels on the back and they say AR2. I don't know whether AR started using that style grille on both the 2 and the 2a after the 2a was introduced. That would be logical. Why continue to use 2 different grilles when the 2a style works fine?

Have never heard the 2, but the 2a is a very nice sounding speaker IMHO. AR added a "supertweeter" to the AR2 design. Here's an interesting page: http://www.mbzponton...n2awa/ar2a.html A photo of my 2a's is attached to post #7 of this thread: http://www.classicsp...?showtopic=5003

I wonder what the AR2 would sound like if you added your own supertweeter? Either a MicroStatic array or maybe place one of these atop the cabinet: http://www.parts-exp...tnumber=297-409 Or how 'bout a pair of these with your $10 speakers? https://www.madisoun...products_id=293 :lol: :lol: :lol:

Here is a photo of 2ax's http://www.classicsp...res_from_jkent/

If you decide to remove the grilles be very careful. They are glued and stapled and they break easily. The 2a page linked above discusses grille removal.

Or just take a peek to satisfy your curiosity, using a flashlight as Vern described. If they sound good you may want to just enjoy them. Many of the early ARs used high quality Mil-spec oil filled capacitors that do not require changing. If your pots are OK, maybe just clean up the cabinets and enjoy listening.

Great find!!

Kent

Thanks for the flashlight suggestion. It worked pretty slick.

I checked them and it looks like they have been modified to the 2x version. The opening "rectangle slot" of the original AR2 tweeters has been nicely filled in and the replacement tweeter looks like the 3 1/2" with the expanded metal cover. If you look closely you can see the protective screen under the grill cloth.

For now I think I will just clean up the finish on these and replace the logo's. Not sure which logo to use. AR2 like the label says or AR2x like the tweeters imply.

Thanks for all the information.

Monte

post-104966-0-10461200-1308192853_thumb.

post-104966-0-56482200-1308192897_thumb.

Well Monte, I learned something. In addition to the 2, 2a and 2ax, AR also made the AR2x. Here's a catalog page that shows some 1966 offerings. Looks like the FACTORY patched up the rectangle that had been used for the dual tweeters in the 2 and 2a when they replaced them with the 2x and 2ax.

Again--great find!

Kent

post-101828-0-42544400-1308195948_thumb.

Well Monte, I learned something. In addition to the 2, 2a and 2ax, AR also made the AR2x. Here's a catalog page that shows some 1966 offerings. Looks like the FACTORY patched up the rectangle that had been used for the dual tweeters in the 2 and 2a when they replaced them with the 2x and 2ax.

Again--great find!

Kent

Hi Kent

When AR first made the AR-2X, they did use the 3 1/2" tweeter and later they upgraded to the 2 1/2" AR-4X tweeter.

AR made an upgrade kit available to their customers for that purpose.

They did not publicize the different tweeters or the different woofers by changing the model number.

Quite a company, offering upgrades at a reasonable price, instead of built-in obsolescence.

There may also have been a crossover change, the same as AR-4 and AR-4X.

The 2 1/2" tweeter change may have also coincided with the ceramic woofer change later on.

I have several pairs of the AR-2X's, even the transition woofer with the adapter ring.

Very interesting looking and I may even remove the grille cloth in the future to post photos here.

As a side note, the AR-1 was also adapted with these same tweeters and they became the AR-1X.

When I owned my first pair of AR-4X's, I was considering buying a single AR-1X for the added bass and center channel fill.

I never did see or hear an AR-1 or AR-1X speaker system, other than AR's catalog of that day.

If I had bought a single AR-1X, I would have been happy for the short term at least.

Archived