T-1030 surrounds

real1shepherd

My woofer surround foam is failing. I sent a letter off the BA to see if they could help. I wasn't even dignified with a response. So...I guess I need to do them myself. I've done many sets of LA's (Large Advents). I would imagine it's similar. Where to get the surround material/kits? And what about the midrange speakers on top....they seem OK now, but will they fail as well?

Thanks,

Kevin

Hi Kevin

I've always been happy with M_Sound kits. Here is their site, with a link to the eBay store

http://www.citlink.net/~msound/refoam/

The instructions will show you how to measure. The owner, John, always responds to email inquiries.

Kent

Thanks Kent, I'll check them out!

Midwest sells a "complete kit" for your speakers and since it includes surrounds for the mids, I'd say you'd best replace those, too. Read the description:

http://w.mawebcenters.com/midwestspeaker/ecommerce/diy-repair-kits/specialty-refoam-kits/boston-acoustics/boston-t1030-refoam-kit-f6-6-and-f8-3.html

Looks like 2 kits, to do all 12 drivers, will cost about $102 + S/H.

I'd still recommend M_Sound. Send an email and see if he can put together a kit for all 12 drivers. Tell him you're a CSP member and have refoamed woofers before. I'm betting he will give you a good price and as I said, he's great to deal with.

Good luck

Kent

Midwest sells a "complete kit" for your speakers and since it includes surrounds for the mids, I'd say you'd best replace those, too. Read the description:

http://w.mawebcenters.com/midwestspeaker/ecommerce/diy-repair-kits/specialty-refoam-kits/boston-acoustics/boston-t1030-refoam-kit-f6-6-and-f8-3.html

Looks like 2 kits, to do all 12 drivers, will cost about $102 + S/H.

I'd still recommend M_Sound. Send an email and see if he can put together a kit for all 12 drivers. Tell him you're a CSP member and have refoamed woofers before. I'm betting he will give you a good price and as I said, he's great to deal with.

Good luck

Kent

I emailed John....my printer just died, so I copied his "form" in my office program and will send it back through email as a doc. Even if he matches Midwest's price, I get the feeling you would recommend him over Midwest, correct?

Yeah, as much as I hate to....I should do the mids too. Or...I can just continue using and peek at them every month or so.....the woofers for sure. In fact, I'm not even using the speakers at present.

Kevin

Hi Kevin

I have never used Midwest and it was not my intention to dis them in any way. I just know that I've always been very satisfied with the products and service from M_Sound.

Yeah--12 drivers is a big project, but the foam is all the same age so if the woofers are shot.....

Kent

Hi Kevin

I have never used Midwest and it was not my intention to dis them in any way. I just know that I've always been very satisfied with the products and service from M_Sound.

Yeah--12 drivers is a big project, but the foam is all the same age so if the woofers are shot.....

Kent

Hey Kent,

You must be thinking I have two pairs of T-1030's.....I only have one pair which equals six foam drivers. I mentioned a double T-1030 system in another thread....probably the confusion. I was just kicking the idea around at the time. They're pretty spectacular just the two.B) I DJ for teens with my Double Advent set, but these have never been out of the house.

Anyway, John had a set of surrounds for all my drivers. The only thing he wasn't sure about was the diameter of the midrange dust cap.

Kevin

• 1 year later...

Hey Kent,

You must be thinking I have two pairs of T-1030's.....I only have one pair which equals six foam drivers. I mentioned a double T-1030 system in another thread....probably the confusion. I was just kicking the idea around at the time. They're pretty spectacular just the two.cool.gif I DJ for teens with my Double Advent set, but these have never been out of the house.

Anyway, John had a set of surrounds for all my drivers. The only thing he wasn't sure about was the diameter of the midrange dust cap.

Kevin

More than a year late in reponding, but I'm SO glad you din't use theT1030 for "DJ'ing". If you did.. "The Horror... The Horror" !!!!

Double Advents are much better suited for DJ applications. The T1030's primary strengths as an "audiophile speaker" would not be noticed in a DJ playback enviroment.

• 5 months later...

Just as an update; I installed John's kit on the T-1030's. The woofer dust caps were too small in diameter. But it was OK because they glued down to the original material(with the help of a socket for weight) and then I ran a bead of glue around the edges. I found the woofers to be a real PIA...not because of some fancy design, but because the factory glue had turned to tar goo along with pieces of the original foam. It comes off, but it's painstaking. John's directions are incredible...if you can't follow them, then you shouldn't be doing anything with your hands, seriously! The midrange speakers are still intact....the material feels like John's material and not the melting goo of the woofer surrounds. I'm puzzled by that, but no way am I tearing out good surrounds just to use the whole kit. When they start to go, they will get done as well. The only caveat I would mention about the speakers themselves is that they are made with some ridgid, slick black cone material. Spill any glue on them, immediately sponge off. For the anal crowd, buy a HUGE box of Q-tips and keep a glass of clean water handy....you'll be doing a lot of touch-ups. :P

And for the record, NO I did not DJ with these speakers. They are too damn nice/purdy and they don't punch out techno bass like the Double Advent set does. Their mids & highs though, far exceed the parameters of Henry's OA's. And their imaging is to die for. Now I have to get some more wire and bi-wire the BA's <_<

Kevin

Archived