WTB AR-2AX Tweeter 1970 - Later

Tom H.

hi,

I am looking for a AR-2AX Tweeter. Pictured is the one I am trying to replace. The only writing is a date code 1970. I'm not sure of the part number. It's a front wired hard cone tweeter. Let me know if you have one identical to it for sell. I am also looking for a set of four original rebuildable pots.

email toms68cst1 "at" hotmail.com

post-110874-0-19919500-1307501169_thumb.

post-110874-0-31965900-1307501186_thumb.

hi,

I am looking for a AR-2AX Tweeter. Pictured is the one I am trying to replace. The only writing is a date code 1970. I'm not sure of the part number. It's a front wired hard cone tweeter. Let me know if you have one identical to it for sell. I am also looking for a set of four original rebuildable pots.

email toms68cst1 "at" hotmail.com

Hi Tom

Just to mention that the tweeter is the 8 ohm 3/4" version, also used in the AR-5 and AR-LST/2 speakers as well.

Used pots can usually be carefully cleaned up.

You will not know until you open them up and inspect the coil's and stators condition whether it is refurbishable or not.

There certainly has been a number of different methods used here with some success by members.

Even some of the advertised refurbished pots usually have the comment, "there is still a little dropout".

This is an experienced service technician too.

You do have a few other pot options though, NOS Ohmite 25 watt 15 ohm pots, New Chinese 25 watt 15 ohm pots and some

members believe in replacement L-pads, instead of pots.

Just because the Ohmmite and Chinese pots are both built like battleships, does not mean they will not develope the same problem down the road.

Possibly coating their coils with an anti-oxidant may help or automotive distributor grease.

UPDATE 20110609 Permatex dielectric tune-up grease lubricant is what I couldn't remember.

A 9.4 gm tube cost me $6.10 + taxes CDN.

Claims to stop corrosion on electrical connections.

I have no pot re-furbishing experience but some other member do.

If this grease is worked into the coil and stator, maybe this will prevent or at least lessen dropouts.

An artists brush or an acid swab brush might make that job easier.

The package has some safety notices and they mention also what to do if it is swallowed.

When I woke up this morning, "I said to myself, I wonder what it tastes like"? LOL

Thanks Vern. We've disussed some tweeter options over on the AR forum. I guess the purist in me is coming out. I'm going to do some fishing and see if I can scare up a good used tweeter. If one does not materialize while i'm restoring my woofers and cabinets, I'll go with the new units that were mentioned in my post.

The good tweeter in the other speaker sounds pretty nice so I'll see if I can find a match.

Hi Tom

Just PM'd you re some pots I may have available.

BUT the reason I have spares is I replaced them with L-Pads. Much more reliable. You can get them from Parts Express for about $5 each. I have also used Ohmite pots, which I DON'T recommend--hard to find, expensive and a real PITA to install (there is a whole saga on that elsewhere in the Forum).

So I would advise against using A-P pots but IF you want to go that route, you can respond to the PM.

Kent

Archived