Model 33 help

catchthehawk

Hi everyone. I'm new here, and I could use some expertise and opinions. I have a pair of KLH Model 33's. On one of them the mid range (or is it the tweeter) is not working. I say "is it the tweeter" because I just noticed that what I thought was the tweeter is actually the port that I keep reading about when I google KLH Model 33. I took it to my local speaker repair shop, and they told me I'd have to buy a new mid range speaker and probably make the hole in the cabinet bigger to fit whatever modern speaker they could get me. Of course, I don't really want to do this. So I checked Ebay and found a mid range speaker from a Model 5. Will this fit my 33, and do you think this is a good route to go? Other suggestions? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

Hi and welcome to the CSP!

Don't feel bad—I made the same mistake when I bought a pair of 33s. Thought the port was a tweeter.

The 33s are very nice. They look like smaller Model Fives, with attractive cabinets. But they are not "valuable" speakers, so I would hesitate to put a lot of money into them.

First of all, the small speakers are tweeters—not mids. So don't let the shop put mids in there.

The tweeters are the same as the ones in the Model Six, but I don't know what other KLH speakers used those tweeters. Maybe another member can help here. Unfortunately the index of KLH speakers in our Library contains too many inaccuracies to help. To me the tweeters in the 33s look like those in the 17 and 20. Unfortunately I no longer have any of those speakers or I would check them. They also look like the tweeters in the Models 5 and 12 (those I DO have, so maybe we can see if they are a match).

Sorry if I'm making things more confusing. Here's what I would suggest: Pull out a tweeter and see if there are any markings on it. It will have a date stamp, but see if there is a part number. Also measure the distance, diagonally, from one mounting hole to the other. A photo of the back of the tweeter may be helpful.

This thread shows the 33s I restored:

http://www.classicsp...h=1

Good luck

Kent

PS: There is a pair of Model Six tweets on ebay now: Item number:250829647244

Hi and welcome to the CSP!

Don't feel bad—I made the same mistake when I bought a pair of 33s. Thought the port was a tweeter.

The 33s are very nice. They look like smaller Model Fives, with attractive cabinets. But they are not "valuable" speakers, so I would hesitate to put a lot of money into them.

First of all, the small speakers are tweeters—not mids. So don't let the shop put mids in there.

The tweeters are the same as the ones in the Model Six, but I don't know what other KLH speakers used those tweeters. Maybe another member can help here. Unfortunately the index of KLH speakers in our Library contains too many inaccuracies to help. To me the tweeters in the 33s look like those in the 17 and 20. Unfortunately I no longer have any of those speakers or I would check them. They also look like the tweeters in the Models 5 and 12 (those I DO have, so maybe we can see if they are a match).

Sorry if I'm making things more confusing. Here's what I would suggest: Pull out a tweeter and see if there are any markings on it. It will have a date stamp, but see if there is a part number. Also measure the distance, diagonally, from one mounting hole to the other. A photo of the back of the tweeter may be helpful.

This thread shows the 33s I restored:

http://www.classicsp...h=1

Good luck

Kent

PS: There is a pair of Model Six tweets on ebay now: Item number:250829647244

That wasn't confusing at all. I wish mine looked half as good as the 33's you restored.

As for the tweeter, it has no markings at all. It looks just like the one in the ebay listing, but no date stamp or writing of any kind, just a black and a red lead. It's 5 inches, between the mounting holes. Those model 6 tweeters will fit right in. That's the route I'm gonna go, as I like these speakers, and plan on keeping them around. I know they're not super valuable, but I dig 'em, and I'm glad I could find replacement tweets so easily! Thanks!

It seems like I'm getting into a project here. I might try my hand at replacing the caps and refinishing (mine are a little more beat up than yours were, so some sanding is probably in order). Were the caps hard to do? Could I just use your photo as a diagram? Can't wait to get these sounding good. I'm gonna buy a real receiver soon, then I'll be set! One step at a time, though.

Thanks for your help,

zac

Hi everyone. I'm new here, and I could use some expertise and opinions. I have a pair of KLH Model 33's. On one of them the mid range (or is it the tweeter) is not working. I say "is it the tweeter" because I just noticed that what I thought was the tweeter is actually the port that I keep reading about when I google KLH Model 33. I took it to my local speaker repair shop, and they told me I'd have to buy a new mid range speaker and probably make the hole in the cabinet bigger to fit whatever modern speaker they could get me. Of course, I don't really want to do this. So I checked Ebay and found a mid range speaker from a Model 5. Will this fit my 33, and do you think this is a good route to go? Other suggestions? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

Hi there

I don't read here that you tried to use a different, as in, bypass or replacement

capacitor, to rule that issue out, before buying another tweeter.

Just a thought for today.

It seems like I'm getting into a project here. I might try my hand at replacing the caps and refinishing (mine are a little more beat up than yours were, so some sanding is probably in order). Were the caps hard to do? Could I just use your photo as a diagram? Can't wait to get these sounding good. I'm gonna buy a real receiver soon, then I'll be set! One step at a time, though.

Hi Zac

Those Model Six tweets should be perfect.

Replacing the caps is a good idea. Electrolytics have a lifespan of 2 decades or so. Those speakers are over 4 decades old, and if yours have the same capacitors mine did--black tubes with red ends--they are notorious for going bad. In mine, there were 2 physical caps but one was a double. Just replace that with 2 caps. Sorry I did not keep a record of the values but they will be written on the capacitors. Replace with film caps. Madisound sells Carli caps which are inexpensive and quite good. Or go for the more expensive Solens. PartsExpress has Dayton or Solen (and other super expensive caps). You may also want to replace the resistors. KLH used 5 watt resistors and I HAVE seen some that were burned or cracked. 10 watts would be better IMHO.

Be careful sanding veneer--especially at the corners and edges--easy to sand through to the particleboard. Depending on how bad they are, you might try Howard Restor-a-Finish. You rub it on with fine steel wool and it can work some miracles! Otherwise sand lightly and carefully, then refinish. The Model 33, unlike AR speakers for example, was finished with varnish or lacquer and over time it turns dull and orange. Stripping that old finish off will reveal the life in the wood.

Now that I think about it, the Howard RAF may not be "strong" enough to get rid of all the old varnish. You may be better off using Formby's furniture restorer, which is stronger and smellier (work outside with that) but will actually remove the old finish.

Good luck. You'll get lots of help here.

Kent

Archived