2ax pots.

troppo

Troppo here again. It's been a month now with my 2ax project and simply refinishing the cabinets and refurbishing the woofers has turned into a complete rebuild, and I've never even held a soldering iron until last week. Now I've got bags of fibreglass, two replacement tweeters, caps, foam, chemical solvent, wood fill. . . Anyway, the POT question. Should I take them out and take them apart or should I leave them ?? They look just fine to me and as I recall they did have an effect on the output on the speakers initial trial run. Any way to test them as they sit ? I'm afraid of crossing a line here where where there may become too many variables and one mistake in the process could turn my project into a yard sale.

Thanks Troppo

Hi Troppo

Take 'em apart and clean them OR replace them with L-pads. Search here for discussion, or see AudioKarma--there is a thread there about cleaning the pots.

Good luck.

Kent

Hi Troppo

Take 'em apart and clean them OR replace them with L-pads. Search here for discussion, or see AudioKarma--there is a thread there about cleaning the pots.

Good luck.

Kent

Hi there

Another member here developed a stepped switch replacement for AR pots.

Check out AR in the library for a downloadable installation manual.

A nice clean switching layout, very professional looking.

When I recently saw that he had left an addition to a thread I went there to ask how he was doing, he had left a message,

deleted it and then went off line before I could touch base with him.

I was not trying to see if he was making the big dollar yet, just seeing how he was continuing or re-designing it.

How he was feeling about the entire project thus far.

Not everyone can come up with an idea, develop it and get it to market affordably.

Ken Kantor, if anyone here, can attest to that.

The designer had obviously a lot of patience, more than I, at least.

The concept was very good and it appeared to be a very suitable AR pot replacement.

Certainly worth discussing here in more detail.

Should be usable in more than one brand and model with variations in the resistors only.

As far as cleaning the pots go, I would suggest not to.

I have seen numerous sellers here and on ebuy selling their cleaned pots.

They tell what they did and used and usually comment regarding some dropouts still.

Here is that AK thread. Covers a lot more than just pot cleaning:

http://www.audiokarm...ad.php?t=306818

Also see the excellent AR3a restoration manual in our Library. Much of the info there is applicable to the 2ax:

http://www.classicsp...ring_the_ar-3a/

I'm a big fan of the L-pads (8 ohm 15w mono). Cheap, easy, effective.

http://www.parts-exp...tnumber=260-248

You can add a 25 ohm 10 watt resistor in parallel with the L-pad to be a bit more authentic. See page 15 of the AR3a restoration guide.

Kent

Archived