Replacement Speakers

xpat

Hello,

I'm considering buying some drivers from Abtechservices. Has anyone had any experience with this vendor - are the drivers really in spec with the originals? Has anyone had experiences with other vendors (good and bad)?

Hi expat and welcome

I'm surprised no one jumped in. Please tell us WHAT AR speakers you are restoring, and then we can address the specific drivers. I have not personally bought from AR Tech but they have been around a while. However, there has been a lot of discussion here regarding the tweeter they sell as an AR3a replacement. Not very good, and quite expensive. Member RoyC came up with a good economical substitute made by HiVi.

Ebay seller "Vintage AR" is very good. In most cases, exact replacements are just not available and the best bet is to watch ebay or post a "wanted" ad in the appropriate section of this forum.

If your problem is a bad woofer surround or torn cone, those things can be easily repaired--you don't have to replace (I learned that the hard way). But tell us what it is you are looking for and you will get better answers.

Kent

AB Tech was originally started by some ex-AR employees as the official distributor of original AR service parts. When AR was still in business, they used to refer callers to AB for parts. Since AR no longer exists except as a brandname, there is no longer a supply chain of original parts. AB sources parts as best they can, but isn't big enough to be able to commission enough volume to support production of original spec AR drivers. You can depend on them to deliver what you order, but there are no exact new replacements for original parts to be had from anyone, and AB is no exception.

Hi expat and welcome

I'm surprised no one jumped in. Please tell us WHAT AR speakers you are restoring, and then we can address the specific drivers. I have not personally bought from AR Tech but they have been around a while. However, there has been a lot of discussion here regarding the tweeter they sell as an AR3a replacement. Not very good, and quite expensive. Member RoyC bame up with a good economical substitute made by HiVi.

Ebay seller "Vintage AR" is very good. In most cases, exact replacements are just not available and the best bet is to watch ebay or post a "wanted" ad in the appropriate section of this forum.

If your problem is a bad woofer surround or torn cone, those things can be easily repaired--you don't have to replace (I learned that the hard way). But tell us what it is you are looking for and you will get better answers.

Kent

Hello,

Thanks for the welcome! I am trying to restore 2 AR6 speakers. The tweeters are originals but sadly, the woofers are gone - they were replaced with Radio Shack woofers (which I tossed). I disassembled the pot on each speaker and cleaned them. They work fine.

FYI, I have already restored the woofer surrounds on my classic AR5s and my AR9s using surrounds from Simply Speakers. I've been having a tough time locating AR6 woofers.

AB Tech was originally started by some ex-AR employees as the official distributor of original AR service parts. When AR was still in business, they used to refer callers to AB for parts. Since AR no longer exists except as a brandname, there is no longer a supply chain of original parts. AB sources parts as best they can, but isn't big enough to be able to commission enough volume to support production of original spec AR drivers. You can depend on them to deliver what you order, but there are no exact new replacements for original parts to be had from anyone, and AB is no exception.

Thanks for the information! I was hoping for exact replacements but understand that may be unrealistic from a vendor perspective.

your best bet is to look for a set of used 4xa or 7 woofers on ebay, I *think* they're the same PN as the 6....a used ADD series AR17/18 woofers would also probably work pretty good.

as far as new, I'd imagine the best bet would be to use some of huw powell's EPI replacement drivers from human speakers, since the EPI's are a similar comcept to the 4/4x/4xa/6/7/17/18-- an 8" 2 way acoustic suspension system...like the 17/18, the woofer in the EPI's run full range with no crossover. not sure if the older models do that...

http://www.humanspeakers.com/diy/parts/005.htm

http://www.humanspeakers.com/diy/parts/001.htm

your best bet is to look for a set of used 4xa or 7 woofers on ebay, I *think* they're the same PN as the 6....a used ADD series AR17/18 woofers would also probably work pretty good.

I dunno Pat. I have no experience with the AR6, but took a look at the brochure here:

http://www.classicsp...h_loudspeak.pdf

The ad suggests the woofer is unique. In any case, looking at the specs at the end of that brochure, the 6 & 7 "seem" to have the same woofer but the 4xa is different. I don't know "how much" different it is or how audible it would be.

Another option: RoyC successfully transplanted Avid 100 components: Woofer, tweeter and xo into AR4x cabinets. I tried it with mine and the results were very nice. May also work for the AR6.

Getting back to xpat's OP, AB Tech seems to stock just ONE 8" woofer for ALL AR speakers:

AR 8" Woofer AR 4,4XA,6,7,15, 16,17,18'S,20C, 25'S,28B,38'S,93,94

Go figure B)

Kent

I dunno Pat. I have no experience with the AR6, but took a look at the brochure here:

The ad suggests the woofer is unique. In any case, looking at the specs at the end of that brochure, the 6 & 7 "seem" to have the same woofer but the 4xa is different. I don't know "how much" different it is or how audible it would be.

Another option: RoyC successfully transplanted Avid 100 components: Woofer, tweeter and xo into AR4x cabinets. I tried it with mine and the results were very nice. May also work for the AR6.

Getting back to xpat's OP, AB Tech seems to stock just ONE 8" woofer for ALL AR speakers:

Go figure B)

Kent

you could be right, but I'm guessing some original 4/4x/4xa woofers or 17/18 woofers that aren't quite "right" would probably work better or sound more original than say a cheap rat shack, goldwood, or GRS 8"

interesting with the ABtech thing, as the 93 and 94 midbass and low bass 8" each have different part numbers ;)

I'm pretty confident the 93/94 midbass is the same woofer used in the 17/18/18S etc...

Go figure B)

Kent

Kent,

Thanks to you and the other fine folks for being so helpful. It is interesting to note that AB Tech must have another woofer that isn't listed. I wrote them and they indicted that the AR6 was special. The woofer they recommend is not the same price as the AR8" "generic" woofer mentioned, and cost a few dollars more. I'm thinking of giving it a try but still would like to use originals and refoam them .......

Regards.....

xpat:

Just checked ebay for AR 8" Woofer.

There is a pair of refoamed AR 7 woofers for sale that are probably identical to the 6. Item number:300560569946 ($95 shipped)

There are also some very inexpensive AR 8" woofers which, if michiganpat is right, might fill the bill at a bargain price.

Check out Item number:370489153864 ($10 each) and Item number:280615180459 ($30/pair).

I have no connection with any of the sales mentioned.

Kent

Thanks to you and the other fine folks for being so helpful. It is interesting to note that AB Tech must have another woofer that isn't listed. I wrote them and they indicted that the AR6 was special. The woofer they recommend is not the same price as the AR8" "generic" woofer mentioned, and cost a few dollars more. I'm thinking of giving it a try but still would like to use originals and refoam them .......

In 1977 AR listed separate replacement woofers for the 4x and 6 and the woofer for the 6 was more expensive, but by 1979 they had gone to the "universal" 8" replacement woofer. I put one of the universals in my AR-6s back in the mid 80's and it sounds fine. There was no physical difference I could see between the originals and the replacements, but I had no way of testing either at the time.

xpat:

Just checked ebay for AR 8" Woofer.

There is a pair of refoamed AR 7 woofers for sale that are probably identical to the 6. Item number:300560569946 ($95 shipped)

There are also some very inexpensive AR 8" woofers which, if michiganpat is right, might fill the bill at a bargain price.

Check out Item number:370489153864 ($10 each) and Item number:280615180459 ($30/pair).

I have no connection with any of the sales mentioned.

Kent

Hello Kent,

Thanks for the tip on the refoamed AR 7 Woofers - it appears the woofers are a very good match for the AR6 (free air resonance of 25hz). I took the plunge and purchased them (at a 20% discount)! I'll let you know how they work out once they arrive and are installed.

Regards,

xpat

Hello Kent,

Thanks for the tip on the refoamed AR 7 Woofers - it appears the woofers are a very good match for the AR6 (free air resonance of 25hz). I took the plunge and purchased them (at a 20% discount)! I'll let you know how they work out once they arrive and are installed.

Regards,

xpat

Hello All,

I installed the AR7 Woofers in the AR6 cabinets. I was very surprised how well the AR6 sounds - very musical. I enjoyed them for a couple days and now the pot in one of the speakers is not working. I've seen some ads for replacement AR Pots - does anyone have any suggestions on the best vendor to purchase a direct replacement? (I understand that AR Pots are 15.7 ohms. Assuming this is true, would the following work??? http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=260-261

Thanks

Thanks

Hello All,

I installed the AR7 Woofers in the AR6 cabinets. I was very surprised how well the AR6 sounds - very musical. I enjoyed them for a couple days and now the pot in one of the speakers is not working. I've seen some ads for replacement AR Pots - does anyone have any suggestions on the best vendor to purchase a direct replacement? (I understand that AR Pots are 15.7 ohms. Assuming this is true, would the following work??? http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=260-261

Thanks

Thanks

with only 1 pot per speaker the 2 1/2 inch od should work. It wouldn't with a 3-way AR because the pot center distance is only about 1 3/4 inches.

(I understand that AR Pots are 15.7 ohms. Assuming this is true, would the following work??? http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=260-261

That is a 16 ohm l-pad, which will electrically act differently than the original 16+/- ohm potentiometer. The crossover point will change and alter the sound.

You would be better off with a 25 ohm resistor placed across the tweeter terminals http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?Partnumber=004-25 and an 8 ohm l-pad http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=260-248

This arrangement will have a very similar effect as the original pot at typically used settings (1st half of rotation).

Roy

While you are ordering from PE, also order a new set of caps. According to this schematic (posted by CSP member onplane, on the AK site), the caps are 10uf. Order caps such as Dayton poly or Solen, depending on your taste and budget. Or you can go to Madisound. They have similar L-pads (Yung LP15, 3/4" 15W 8Ω L-pad. The shaft is longer), and you can select caps ranging from 60 cent 10uF "surplus" caps (probably fine), to nice inexpensive Carli mylar caps (maybe best bang for the buck), to the popular Solens. Then there are premium caps like the Clarity Cap PX (a nice cap for $6.70 ea) or SA, and then there are the very expensive and the super expensive. Go wild! ;)

Kent

post-101828-0-66433000-1308193218_thumb.

Thanks to everyone for their valuable input. The AR6s are up and running after reconditioning the pots. I just finished listening to Copland's 3rd Symphony (Atlanta/Levi) and Vaughn Williams Sinfonia Antartica (London / Haitink) The speakers sound fantastic for their size. While they don't get a deep as the AR5s, I'm very surprised by their accurate tonality, lack of shrill and room filling bass. As a classical music listener, I believe the classic ARs excel in reproducing classical music. Design genius -period.

xpat

P.S. I'm going to TRY] and add a few pics of this project.......

post-111891-0-52689600-1308616713_thumb.

post-111891-0-89917100-1308616751_thumb.

post-111891-0-09573000-1308616775_thumb.

post-111891-0-53562600-1308616798_thumb.

post-111891-0-85751600-1308616829_thumb.

Archived