8/10/1954 - 8/10/2003: AR's 50th!

tysontom

Acoustic Research was incorporated on August 10, 1954, so in a mere 18 months AR will be 50! As George ("toasted") and others have mentioned more than once, perhaps we need to start thinking in terms of some sort of celebration for the 50th AR Anniversary. I don't know what -- if anything -- Recoton has planned for this occasion, so we should start thinking about this again. These are not the best of times in the audio industry, so cost constraints may prevent Recoton from emulating International Jensen's big AR birthday party back in 1994. Any ideas?

--Tom Tyson

It’s certainly a good idea to celebrate! I think AR should release a 50th anniversary speaker, like a limited edition accurate reproduction of the AR-3. I think a gathering of the important AR people, some AR hobbyists, and the current head of Recoton would be nice. Even if Recoton didn’t have a celebration, I think it would be proper for some "us" (AR Hobbyists) to get together for some kind of informal celebration, and maybe show off some of our classic speakers, kind of like a trade show for old speakers. Or maybe we could have a speaker show. Each person would go up on stage, or up front, and play their speakers, like a speaker concert. I play my speakers, and then the next person comes up and plays their speaker(s) and so on and so forth. Each person would be limited to playing two stereo pairs of speakers or 2 monaural speakers. I think it would be neat to hear and compare the classic AR models, all of these different models together in one room!

While I am wide open to other suggestions, and would be willing to participate in just about anything, I think at the VERY LEAST, this should occur:

If we, as the mad/ardent followers and keepers of the faith cannot all get together somewhere, we should ALL at the same time, log onto this august forum, and at PRECISELY the same time, partake of the liquid libation of each choice. I don't mean we all need to get stinko, but a quick throw in honor of the company we all loved and remember. This need not be an alcoholic beverage. If grape juice is your thing, so be it.

Toasted "Open to MUCH Better Suggestions" Almond

I, too, am doubtful that Recoton will do anything for the 50th, not only because of the tough times in the audio industry, but also because I fear that the relevance of the occasion doesn't mean as much to today's audio companies.

I would be happy to fly at my own expense to anywhere in the US to share this event with my fellow enthusiasts. (Hey George, maybe you could pick me up in your KC-135!)

I live just outside of Boston. Boston will host the Democratic National Convention in July 2004, so hotel rooms will be tight here that summer up till then. Afterwards, I suppose, they could be hungry for business.

If we don't actually manage to organize a gathering of our truly unique souls, I shall take George's suggestion and raise a glass of my finest single malt in tribute to all of you fine people and the speakers that have captivated our attention for so long.

Steve F.

Guest lmrosenthal

I live in Omaha, and would make every effort to attend a gathering if it could be put together. I would really like to meet everyone I've read and responded to on this forum face to face. It would be great!

Larry

Guest Barrydor

I,too, would be happy to fly somewhere to take part in a get together. I think this would be a great idea. A demo of AR speakers and vintage audio equipment would also be a good thing if it could be arranged.

By the way, if any of you folks are ever in the Tampa Bay area, please send me an e-mail. I would be happy to have you over to take a listen to my stuff.

Barry

I too would enjoy attending, if invited, and meeting all of you. Just for the record, not that it really matters, I think I am the youngest classic AR enthusiast on this forum, I’m 16. My recording studio just wouldn’t be the same without my wonderfull classic AR speakers. After all, in a recording studio, only the best speaker will do.

• 4 weeks later...

Tom,

Did anything ever come of this?

We could all meet in August. . . in Flordia. . .

Of course, the Boston area seems more appropriate and probably more comforable in August. Might be interesting.

Bret

Guest OpusX

Never paid much attention to this post the first time around, but it is resurfacing and gives us plenty of time to get organized. I think I may well be in the Boston area for another meeting at that time. Would be up to try to get together for anything - real or virtual - to mark that day or mark the event that was the genesis of what has become a bit of a love and passion for all of us in this group.

Back in 1981 I was living in Philadelphia and drove up to Portsmouth NH to meet Richard (the verbose one....*S*)and family for the weekend. On the way back to Philly I made a slight detour in the Boston area to 10 American Drive, Norwood,MA. Yes....that 10 American Drive. Wanted to see the home of my babies - (at that time I only had the MSTs and the AR-11s). Just meant something to me to see the place.....and for that reason I think we should do something on August 8th.

Archived