My first post: Hello!

fran604g

I'm finally getting around to restoring a pair of 4x's a friend gave to me a couple of years ago, they were stored in a closet unused for a couple of decades. When he gave them to me, I quick tested and found the tweets inoperable (the pots, of course) I put them away for another day when I could spend time getting caught up on various audio projects. I've read just about everything I could find recently and also in the past, so I pretty much know what I have to do. Also, it just so happens that I have another that pair I bought at a yard sale 3 summers ago, sitting in the rain, for $5. It turns out that one was obviously messed up with the wrong woof and a badly rusted tweet. The other, however, looked to be intact. Both have abused, but salvageable cabinets. 5 weeks ago I had my second spinal fusion, a double this time, so I now have plenty of time to play. This past Saturday, I had my son bring them all down from the attic and fired up the 2 nice guys my friend gave to me, and to my surprise, I could find some "sweet" spots on both pots, so now I'm compelled to bring them back completely. B)

Sunday, I dismantled the 2 bad guys completely as a guide to myself for reworking the good ones, and learned that after testing the woof and tweet from the original looking one of the two, it is indeed original, all of it, and functional, as well. So now I have a complete spare set of components for the restoration of the 2 nice ones. Pretty damn good for $5 if you ask me. I will use the 2 extra cabs for a Zilch Econowave version similar to a pair of Bose 201's I did for my son over on AK.

Anyway, as time permits and as I remember to, I will be updating my progress. I can't get around very well, so bear with me and it's good to be here among people that share my enthusiasm for these "relics." :P

I'm finally getting around to restoring a pair of 4x's a friend gave to me a couple of years ago, they were stored in a closet unused for a couple of decades. When he gave them to me, I quick tested and found the tweets inoperable (the pots, of course) I put them away for another day when I could spend time getting caught up on various audio projects. I've read just about everything I could find recently and also in the past, so I pretty much know what I have to do. Also, it just so happens that I have another that pair I bought at a yard sale 3 summers ago, sitting in the rain, for $5. It turns out that one was obviously messed up with the wrong woof and a badly rusted tweet. The other, however, looked to be intact. Both have abused, but salvageable cabinets. 5 weeks ago I had my second spinal fusion, a double this time, so I now have plenty of time to play. This past Saturday, I had my son bring them all down from the attic and fired up the 2 nice guys my friend gave to me, and to my surprise, I could find some "sweet" spots on both pots, so now I'm compelled to bring them back completely. B)

Sunday, I dismantled the 2 bad guys completely as a guide to myself for reworking the good ones, and learned that after testing the woof and tweet from the original looking one of the two, it is indeed original, all of it, and functional, as well. So now I have a complete spare set of components for the restoration of the 2 nice ones. Pretty damn good for $5 if you ask me. I will use the 2 extra cabs for a Zilch Econowave version similar to a pair of Bose 201's I did for my son over on AK.

Anyway, as time permits and as I remember to, I will be updating my progress. I can't get around very well, so bear with me and it's good to be here among people that share my enthusiasm for these "relics." :P

Welcome to the CSP Fran

My very first pair of speakers were AR 4x's that I bought in 1969, and my 1st restoration project, with plenty of help from the folks here, was those same speakers. They are in my living room now and I use them daily. 40+ years old and looking/sounding great. Good luck with yours.

Kent

Archived