WTB: AR-2 Woofer

JonL

New here, though I've lurked around a bit over the years. I'm an active participant under the same user name on another well-known audio forum.

I need a woofer for an AR-2. Aluminum frame, round magnet, cloth surround, smooth cone. See pictures. Alternatively, I could use a recommendation for a good repair shop.

Thanks!

post-110175-0-66031200-1302749322_thumb.

post-110175-0-14622100-1302749334_thumb.

New here, though I've lurked around a bit over the years. I'm an active participant under the same user name on another well-known audio forum.

I need a woofer for an AR-2. Aluminum frame, round magnet, cloth surround, smooth cone. See pictures. Alternatively, I could use a recommendation for a good repair shop.

Thanks!

Hi there

What seems to be the problem with the woofer?

Hi there

What seems to be the problem with the woofer?

The spider is no longer attached to the frame, and the voice coil measures open with an ohmmeter. The cone looks fine, the VC doesn't really rub even with the detached spider, the spider seems to be attached firmly to the cone, and it is very cleanly separated from the frame.

I recently bought this pair of AR-2s at an estate sale with no possibility of auditioning them first. The cabinets are in very nice shape, and the other speaker sounds surprisingly good. Like the AR-4x's I had a million years ago - 1974, to be exact - (and still have, though they need repair), the 2's needed the tweeter control turned full up and a healthy boost of the treble control on the SCA-35 to bring out the sparkle. Once I did that, I was quite smitten with the sound. (The old Dynaco used to be paired with the 4x's. The Dynaco is now in my office system with Celestion DL-8 series II, but I think I may replace them with the AR-2s.)

Welcome Jon

Try emailing Bill LeGall at Millersound in PA. He will tell you if he can fix the woofer.

Kent

• 2 months later...

Archived