Advent 2/w

sleestack

I have a pair of advent 2/w

I dont know how to hook them up. I have a pretty crappy amplifier at the moment. It looks like I have to power them somehow. Do I have to plug them into my wall socket with an old stripped lamp cord? That sounds dangerous, lol. Or do these get power from an amp? I guess I need a new (old) amplifier. Forgive my ignorance

Welcome to the CSP!

Yes--plugging them into the wall socket would be a bad thing :o

Before playing them at all, you should look at the woofers (the big round speakers inside) and check the surrounds (foam rubber circle around the perimeter of the paper part). They are probably deteriorated, which means they (the surrounds) have to be replaced. If you play the speakers with deteriorated surrounds,you can destroy the speakers.

"Re-foaming" these speakers is a challenge because the woofers are not a standard size. You would be better off sending them to a pro, like Millersound in PA. Probably cost about $50 - 60 for the pair. Well worth it if you like the speakers.

You can use virtually any amp or receiver. Parts Express sells the Audiosource Amp100, which is a nice little amp, for $100

http://www.parts-exp...tnumber=302-601

Check your woofers then get back to us

Kent

Should I just chuck them?

Yes.

Well, not really. Never had these but from what I've read the woofers are good but an odd size. The crossovers are unimpressive and the tweeter array is well-intentioned but misses the mark. The 2/w were the "modern" looking ones in the white plastic cabinets with metal grilles. You may be able to sell the tweeters on eBay and make a few bucks. It's "possible" even the woofers with bad surrounds could be sold. Things like the metal grilles and even speaker terminal nuts (not sure if the 2 had those) could be sold, then put the money toward other speakers. You may even be able to sell them intact, as-is, as long as you disclose the surround rot issue. So don't just chuck them. They look like this picture, right?

post-101828-0-49244600-1302453889_thumb.

OTOH, if the speakers are cosmetically nice, you like them and have use for them, have them refoamed and enjoy. Even figuring the shipping cost to a reputable repair shop, your total cost will be well under $100 and the speakers will be better than anything you could buy new for that price.

Plan B: Buy a $25 refoam kit and tackle it yourself. As I understand it, you will have to buy "smaller Advent" surrounds, cut and seam them to make them smaller diameter. A bit tricky for a first-timer but not impossible. Take a look at MSound's step-by-step instructions to see if you want to try it. Then contact M Sound and ask about a kit for the Advent 2.

http://www.citlink.net/~msound/refoam/

Good luck

Kent

Yes.

Never had these but from what I've read the woofers are good but an odd size. The crossovers are unimpressive and the tweeter array is well-intentioned but misses the mark.

Kent

For some reason, the Advent 2 gets a very bad rap so many years after the fact. I don't know why.

I remember when they were introduced, Andy Petite (he hadn't changed his last name back to Kotsatos yet) of Advent presented them to the BAS. I remember the meeting write-up humorously noting that the system resonance was 58 Hz and the price was $58 ea, or "....$1 per Hz."

The dual/angled tweeter array was the first--and only--multi-tweeter design ever done by Andy Kotsatos. The speaker is historically notable for that reason alone. Andy described in great detail how he manually positioned the tweeters with modeling clay in several different orientations, then took measurements and did exhaustive listening tests at normal listening positions. In this way, he was able to come up with a tweeter arrangement that had virtually no destructive interference/cancellation in actual use, from normal listener positions, even fairly close up. He did his homework, and he did it right. I don't know why it would be characterized as "...well-intentioned, but misses the mark."

Andy had a very definite idea about voicing, and all the Advents of that era had his 'sound.' It entirely possible, of course, to simply not particularly care for Andy's voicing choice, but the actual, technical performance of that tweeter array is quite good. Whether its output has the response shape and level one finds agreeable is a different matter altogether.

Another interesting tidbit--he used Onkyo tweeters, because he found their raw FR and PH to be pretty good. I've spoken to him later on, and he actually had approached AR about letting Advent manufacture their 1 1/4" cone tweeter under license, but nothing ever came of that.

I hope I don't have my Advent models confused. Is the 2 the one with the angled tweeters or was that the 3? I apologize if I'm barking up the wrong tree.

Steve F.

its a wooden speaker cab. Ill have to think about it. Thanks for the help!

IM sort of pissed at ebay with their monopolistic practices. The little embedded fees, etc. The gotcha fees. Small sales arent worth it half the time

Hi there

I was a rescuer of hifi misc a few years ago on ebuy.

I read a sellers comment that, him using paypal, a listing charge and some other charge, it ate up close to 25% of the actual selling bid price.

That was a posted comment in a listing that I was looking at, as a matter of interest.

The elimination of USPS's economy postal service a few years ago, made shipping most everything to here in Vancouver double or more.

I have some very interesting and unique items that I would have liked to have listed and sold on ebuy, except, after reading that comment, I will need to try to sell locally instead.

There is also the buy and sell posting section here as another possible option. MMMMMMM

Sorry Steve. As I said, I have not owned or heard the 2s and was only summarizing what I had read. Many people were critical of the "odd" angled tweeters and their imaging. Maybe those writers are mistaken. I do like my AR2s with their angled tweeters, and of course MicroStatic made both add-on arrays and full-range system with angled tweeters, so maybe they're fine. I do think the IP should consider keeping these if they are real walnut veneer and he can get the woofers refoamed, but it sounds like he just wants to"flip" them at a profit, so if that's the case he may not consider them worthwhile. They won't fetch big bucks.

Kent

• 8 years later...

Hey anybody, I bought a pair of the Advent2/w at the value village about 2 years ago. Let me add for the awesome price of $4.94. Two days ago I reformed them with the fsk9 kit. I did have to cut the surround to fit the 6 3/8 inch cone. Anyway short and sweet they are sitting on top of some large Advents that need reforming. Which I also bought for $4.94 at Value Village. I'm running the 2Ws with a Pioneer sa 506 mint condition. Volume on 3 1/2 it's like I have a monster sub vibrating my whole living room. This bass is crystal clear phenomenal. All in all these old schools sound pretty good. On certain songs they are amazing.. For $24.00 I'm very happy. I think that old 506 does something for these speakers. These are 1978 Pioneer watts. Can't wait to refoam these large Advents. These little 2/We made me a believer in the Advent 2 way speakers. 

• 6 months later...

I 'm lucky enough to acquire the famous Advent /2 speakers for free. It has been sitting in my garage and recently bought foam surround replacement from simply speakers. The problem is I can't figure out how to remove the woofers from the cabinet.  I loosened the 6 screws on the back of speakers cabinet, but remains securely closed.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.