Snell A3i - bass gone

foo

Hello fellow Snell afficinados, my first post here is unfortunately about a problem.

I was playing some (very) loud music the other night, when suddenly all bass disappeared in both speakers simultaneously. There was no distortion or other signs that something unfortunate was going to happen. Midrange and tweeters were playing as if nothing happened.

First I thought it could be the fuses, so I checked those, and found at least one to be blown (the other one looks fine when eyeballed). But there is a text on the cabinet above the fuses saying: "tweeter", so I guess if the fuses were blown, the speakers would lack treble and not bass?

So I don't know what the trouble is here - there is absolutely no sound from the woofers, as if they were disconnected. if I blew the woofers, I would think there at least would be some harsh scraping or something?

So I need some input regarding what could be the problem here.

And if anyone knows the type of fuse these speakers use, it would be much appreciated. I called a technician today and told him the only number I could find on the fuses: "250v" but that didn't seem to help him much.

Does anyone have any input here?

Hello fellow Snell afficinados, my first post here is unfortunately about a problem.

if I blew the woofers, I would think there at least would be some harsh scraping or something?

It's possible to blow a woofer's voice coil (i.e. cause a short) and not hear any scraping. Suggest you remove the woofer, disconnect the wires to it and check it with a VOM or battery test to see if the voice coil is still alive.

I was playing some (very) loud music the other night, when suddenly all bass disappeared in both speakers simultaneously. There was no distortion or other signs that something unfortunate was going to happen. Midrange and tweeters were playing as if nothing happened.

First I thought it could be the fuses, so I checked those, and found at least one to be blown (the other one looks fine when eyeballed). But there is a text on the cabinet above the fuses saying: "tweeter", so I guess if the fuses were blown, the speakers would lack treble and not bass?

So I don't know what the trouble is here - there is absolutely no sound from the woofers, as if they were disconnected. if I blew the woofers, I would think there at least would be some harsh scraping or something?

So I need some input regarding what could be the problem here.

And if anyone knows the type of fuse these speakers use, it would be much appreciated. I called a technician today and told him the only number I could find on the fuses: "250v" but that didn't seem to help him much.

Hi there

Carl will know more about these speakers than I do.

Try out 2 new fuses before you try anything else.

There may be a fuse rating, besides 250V, such as for example,

AGC1 or such, on a label attached to the speakers cabinet rear.

There are many look-a-like fuses, so check out the label, manual, website or ask here.

A knowledgeable member may have that documented information for you.

If there is such a rating, AGC1, replace them only with that size or even slightly smaller, never larger.

It is most likely a fast blow fuse, and not as common but still used, a slow blow fuse.

Just a thought for tonight.

Archived