AR-3 to 3a conversions.

charger3834

I was reading about the 3 to 3a conversion offered by AR after the introduction of the AR-3a. What a great customer focased organization.

My question is:

Was the converted AR-3 treated with new grill cloth, badges and rear instuctions ?

I understand that this was done at the factory for $90.00 plus freight both ways. Which leads me to another question: How was the $15.00 2a to 2ax conversion administered.

Finally, did AR eventually discontinue this service ?

>I was reading about the 3 to 3a conversion offered by AR

>after the introduction of the AR-3a. What a great customer

>focased organization.

>

>My question is:

>

>Was the converted AR-3 treated with new grill cloth, badges

>and rear instuctions ?

>

Because the AR-3 had a different cabinet molding and grill-frame assembly, the original grill was usually returned with the speaker when it was converted to an AR-3a. An AR-3a grill would not tuck under the AR-3 molding properly, and would tend to sag and look strange. Even the brass AR-3a logo plate would not line up properly on an AR-3 without modification, so the entire grill assembly and logos were returned. The AR-3a conversion was performed strictly at the factory, not in the field, because AR could only salvage the cabinet and the woofer during the ninety-dollar conversion; everything else was completely changed out. I do know that AR replaced all cast-aluminum, Alnico woofers with new woofers if the originals appeared to have a "collapsed surround." Incidentally, after AR performed the conversation upgrade, the owner was given a brand-new, "full" five-year warranty. The meaning of "full," rather than "limited," had great relevance to the customer. This was another AR innovation in the loudspeaker industry.

>I understand that this was done at the factory for $90.00

>plus freight both ways. Which leads me to another question:

>How was the $15.00 2a to 2ax conversion administered.

>

This was a field kit, and could be done by end users or by a dealer. One could return the speaker to the factory for this service, but it was economically not practical to do so.

>Finally, did AR eventually discontinue this service ?

Oh yeah. Just like everything else, all good things eventually come to an end.

--Tom Tyson

>Thanks Tom

>

>What exactly was a collapsed surround ?

>

I meant to say, "collapsed skiver," as AR called it, but in reality it is a collapsed suspension (the spider, or inner suspension, gets stretched, and the speaker cone sags below the center point). It occurs primarily when an AR cast-frame 12-inch (notice I didn't say 11-inch) speaker is left either lying on its back or front for prolonged periods, or because of over-power for extended periods. This was not a problem in the ferrite-magnet woofer to my knowledge.

>I guess my other question should have been: Did AR

>discontinue 3a conversions prior to the end of AR-3a

>production ?

Actually, the AR-3-to-AR-3a conversion continued to be offered through the end of the production run of the AR-3, I think, somewhere in the 1969 timeframe. AR may have continued to offer it for some time after that, but I am not sure.

--Tom Tyson

It took me some time to spot the "conversation upgrade."

I also tend to type in haste, and there isn't a spell check built in to the forum software.

I am also in the 12" camp as opposed 11" camp. Industry standard or not, I will call it whatever AR called it. In addition, if it is refered to as an 11" woofer, it can be easily confused with the large, cast aluminum frame AR-2 woofer. I've seen this problem on ebay.

>I am also in the 12" camp as opposed 11" camp. Industry

>standard or not, I will call it whatever AR called it. In

>addition, if it is refered to as an 11" woofer, it can be

>easily confused with the large, cast aluminum frame AR-2

>woofer. I've seen this problem on ebay.

>

The industry standard is frame size, not surround size or whatever. AR always referred to that woofer as a 12-inch woofer, which is technically correct. Add to that two other items: "eyeball" and "bee's butt" midrange driver. These expressions are definitely "unofficial" and from someone's vivid, descriptive imagination. To my knowledge AR never referred to them in this manner. There's certainly nothing wrong with it, but it confuses my structured, anal-retentive way of life. Incidentally, there used to be the expression "fried egg," which referred to the 1-3/8-inch dome tweeter on the AR-3. This was begun by Julian Hirsch or someone, and it carried on for some years.

--Tom Tyson

Archived