9-series semi-horns are available

After being told that semi-horns used in the AR9 series speakers are not available anymore, period, I have just seen part number 200044 from AB Tech which is a semi-horn.

The friend with the 10pi speakers: One of his originals has a dent in the screen which may or may not be pushing the "eyeball" materials into the midrange driver. His wife insists that he replace them. They get some replacements. 1.5" domes, ferrofluid filled, no screen, no eyeball. They have posts at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock. They won't fit in the cabinet. Friend's wife calls Alex. Alex says, "wrong speakers, I will send you the correct drivers which will fit in your cabinets with terminals at 2 o'clock and 8 o'clock.

Alex issues a call tag for the first drivers and sends 200044s. They have terminals in the right place. They are semi-horns. Something isn't right, though, because they completely "unbalance" the speaker system. (way too much output compared with an original driver) I'll try to get a Ohms measurement when I get home, I'm in FL now.

I wish we could get a complete list of AR drivers, original and replacement, that was accurate, to put in the library. Too many look "just alike" yet aren't. I can only report the numbers on those I own and that is not a significant portion of what's out there.

Bret

>The friend with the 10pi speakers: One of his originals has

>a dent in the screen which may or may not be pushing the

>"eyeball" materials into the midrange driver.

The screen is made by a flexible material so you can try to eliminate the dent using a little screwdriver gently and carefully .

Otherwise first you can remove the screen and the eyeball materials and then eliminate the dent with a gentle pressure. In this case you can also see if the dome is damaged. Use patience and care!

Luigi

>Otherwise first you can remove the screen and the eyeball materials and then eliminate the dent with a gentle pressure<

I had asked the friend, Don, if he chose to stay with the new, non-original drivers, if I might have his originals. He said that I could. My intention was to try to remove the screen to reshape it. As you say, I was going to be slow, slow, and careful.

Bret

Archived