AR3a - pushed in speaker cone nightmare!

TheMightyPig

Beloved 2 year old daughter has pushed in the cones on both the sub and the tweeter on one of my Beloved 1969 AR3a's. Sensible, tried and tested suggestions on how to fix, by you experienced speaker fiends gratefully received :-)

Beloved 2 year old daughter has pushed in the cones on both the sub and the tweeter on one of my Beloved 1969 AR3a's. Sensible, tried and tested suggestions on how to fix, by you experienced speaker fiends gratefully received :-)

Hi there

Kent has already suggested a photo of the damage and that will help very much a member to help you.

In some cases of physical damage to the dust domes, they may be able to be carefully extracted back close

to their original shape.

If all else fails, a surgically removed dust dome and regluing another similar one in it's place.

I say removing the old one, to keep the weight down as close as possible as the original cone.

Similar, as in approximate weight, diameter and air porosity.

Kent will give you first rate advice once you've downloaded a photo or two.

Good luck

Vern

A dust cap is meaningless from a performance point of view. If that's what you are talking about on the woofer, sure, I'd try to "fix" it but it actually doesn't matter. And since these drivers were never intended to be seen, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

If a tweeter dome has been dented - that might be a different story. Though I have read opinions that it actually doesn't really affect the sound. Seems to me it would have to at least affect dispersion though whether anyone could really hear it, I don't know.

Some people have had success by bending a very small diameter pin into an "L," pushing the tip of the pin through the pushed-in dome and gently pulling it back into shape. Often the pushed-in surface wants to 'spring' back into its original shape. The very small pin hole won't affect things acoustically too much--if at all--and from 2 or 3 feet away, it will be completely invisible.

Steve F.

this is why I suggested pictures. A pushed in speaker cone could be serious. Pushed in dust cap? No big deal. If it is the dust cap, leave it alone, suck it out or pull it out with a pin.

Kent

Well, first, I am happy to see that the daughter is still beloved! I don't have any children, but I remember doing a lot of destructive things when I was little, and I remember times when it was especially distressing to one or both of my parents.

I echo the others' call for photos. Recalling my curious childhood days and my desire to depress things that looked like great big buttons, I get the feeling that you're talking about the dustcap on the woofer, which, all things considered, is no big deal. As the others said, the paper dome on the tweeter may be trickier, but I suspect that it, too, could be repaired without a terrific ordeal.

I gather that this precision assault occurred while the grill cloth was off?

Good luck.

Archived