what's after AR-10pi

Darrell Peart

I am a die-hard AR fan. In 1972 I bought a pair of AR-3'a brand new (sold them 10years later when I needed money). Not long ago I bought another pair of AR-3a's and had them fully restored. Listening to my restored 3a's I would think "this is as good as it gets!"

Then more recently I acquired a pair of AR-10Pi's. I had previously thought that the 3a was the peak - the best there is. But I had to admit I like the 10pi even better! Does this ever end - is there always a better speaker on the horizon?

Now I am wondering about the AR-LST nor the AR-9 (and any of their variations). I have heard great things about both of these.

How does the LST compare to the 10pi?

Does the Ar-9 continue and improve upon the sound of the 3a and 10pi or does it go in a different direction? I am reluctant to get a pair of 9's just because of the power requirements I have heard of ( my most powerful receiver is a Sansui 9090 followed by a Marantz 2285b) Would the AR-9LS or AR-9LSI be similar only with less power requirements?

Thanks,

Darrell

In my listening experience, I have heard nothing that rivals the overall performance of the AR9. For my listening taste, there simply is no equal. Given that most of my sources are digital and most of the music I listen to is low-requirement in terms of absolute accuracy and fidelity, I find transistorized amplification to suit my needs and therefore power requirements are easily met.

Neither the 9LS nor the 9LSi are contemporaries of the AR9 in my opinion. The tweeter/midrange has an unfriendly tone to my ears. I don't know if it's the arrangment or perhaps a crossover issue; I can't say for certain. Neither will the 9LS(i) match the AR9 in low-end extension. I felt the 9LS was struggling to keep up with the lowest octaves, something the AR9 does without effort.

The best thing about the AR9 (and something I can't say for the LST) is that in almost all listening experiences, the speakers simply disappear. You aren't listening to a reproduction of the music, but the music itself. It's hard to describe, and I think it's what some people refer to as "transparency."

-Deek

I am a die-hard AR fan. In 1972 I bought a pair of AR-3'a brand new (sold them 10years later when I needed money). Not long ago I bought another pair of AR-3a's and had them fully restored. Listening to my restored 3a's I would think "this is as good as it gets!"

Then more recently I acquired a pair of AR-10Pi's. I had previously thought that the 3a was the peak - the best there is. But I had to admit I like the 10pi even better! Does this ever end - is there always a better speaker on the horizon?

Now I am wondering about the AR-LST nor the AR-9 (and any of their variations). I have heard great things about both of these.

How does the LST compare to the 10pi?

Does the Ar-9 continue and improve upon the sound of the 3a and 10pi or does it go in a different direction? I am reluctant to get a pair of 9's just because of the power requirements I have heard of ( my most powerful receiver is a Sansui 9090 followed by a Marantz 2285b) Would the AR-9LS or AR-9LSI be similar only with less power requirements?

Thanks,

Darrell

Darrell,

I had the opportunity to compare AR-10pis, AR-9's, and NHT 3.3's, at the home of one of our esteemed CSP forum members last year.

If you are able to fit a pair of (all original) AR-9's in your living space, I doubt you would regret it. Of course, power requirements become more important as your listening level increases, but the 9 is really not much more difficult to drive than the 10pi....and you are likely to prefer the 9, with any amp, over the 10pi. At least that was the conclusion of the four of us who participated in the comparison.

Roy

The best thing about the AR9 (and something I can't say for the LST) is that in almost all listening experiences, the speakers simply disappear. You aren't listening to a reproduction of the music, but the music itself. It's hard to describe, and I think it's what some people refer to as "transparency."

-Deek

Deek - Other people have told me this as well -- the AR9 is the best speaker they have ever heard.

Darrell,

I had the opportunity to compare AR-10pis, AR-9's, and NHT 3.3's, at the home of one of our esteemed CSP forum members last year.

If you are able to fit a pair of (all original) AR-9's in your living space, I doubt you would regret it. Of course, power requirements become more important as your listening level increases, but the 9 is really not much more difficult to drive than the 10pi....and you are likely to prefer the 9, with any amp, over the 10pi. At least that was the conclusion of the four of us who participated in the comparison.

Roy

Roy,

Do you think either my Sansui 9090 or Marantz 2285b would power them?

Roy,

Do you think either my Sansui 9090 or Marantz 2285b would power them?

Personally, I could be happy with either of them, but then again I am not a believer that high powered amps are necessary to enjoy the old beasts. Listening levels, room acoustics, and the type of recorded material being listened to, all play a part in making such decisions. (A similar discussion is taking place in the AR 303 thread.) Good current capability and stability into an impedance of 4 ohms or less is the best guideline to follow, imo, regardless of "rated" power into 8 ohms. I think both of your power sources meet that requirement, and are at the very least, a good start. I've always liked Sansui at any power level.

Roy

In my listening experience, I have heard nothing that rivals the overall performance of the AR9. For my listening taste, there simply is no equal. Given that most of my sources are digital and most of the music I listen to is low-requirement in terms of absolute accuracy and fidelity, I find transistorized amplification to suit my needs and therefore power requirements are easily met.

Neither the 9LS nor the 9LSi are contemporaries of the AR9 in my opinion. The tweeter/midrange has an unfriendly tone to my ears. I don't know if it's the arrangment or perhaps a crossover issue; I can't say for certain. Neither will the 9LS(i) match the AR9 in low-end extension. I felt the 9LS was struggling to keep up with the lowest octaves, something the AR9 does without effort.

-Deek

"Given that most of my sources are digital and most of the music I listen to is low-requirement in terms of absolute accuracy and fidelity, I find transistorized amplification to suit my needs and therefore power requirements are easily met."

Most of the sources I listen to are digital and almost all of the music I listen to is extremely demanding in terms of absolute accuracy and fidelity. That is why I find transistorized amplification is the only viable option.

Personally, I could be happy with either of them, but then again I am not a believer that high powered amps are necessary to enjoy the old beasts. Listening levels, room acoustics, and the type of recorded material being listened to, all play a part in making such decisions. (A similar discussion is taking place in the AR 303 thread.) Good current capability and stability into an impedance of 4 ohms or less is the best guideline to follow, imo, regardless of "rated" power into 8 ohms. I think both of your power sources meet that requirement, and are at the very least, a good start. I've always liked Sansui at any power level.

Roy

It's been many years since I discarded the long accepted notion that you can't have too much amplifier power. IMO that notion is bad engineering. I have found that a high quality 60wpc amplifier will produce very loud undistorted music in my 4000 cubic foot moderately live listening room. Driven with this amplifier AR9 will produce wall shaking window rattling bass without any sign of strain. In a 2000 cubic foot room, an entirely different speaker will eat up 138 wpc at very low frequencies quite easily if I am not reasonably careful. Needless to say, with the power available, it is not suitable for loud organ pedal music.

There's a strong family resemblance in the top-of-the-line models, and the AR-9 was the pinnacle of all-around performance from the company.

I've found 200 watts/channel to be more than adequate for anything but sound effects use; but that said, you can easily power the system to reasonable & pleasing levels with your 9090DB.

Of the Japanese super receivers from that era, Sansui seemed to be an extremely stable choice, with a more pleasing tube-like quality than say Pioneer, or Kenwood, and a very good match with AR systems.

Be aware that restoring an original, unmodified AR-9 to tip-top condition will be more expensive than any of the bookshelf systems. In addition to the driver surrounds, attention has to be paid to the crossover caps, and possibly the level control switches. If the foam inserts for the tweeter and upper midrange are missing (as they usually are) original replacements are expensive, although some prefer to fabricate their own. Adding improved binding posts or spiked feet may also be considered.

The good news is that working on the system is a breeze - there's no messy fibreglass to contend with, the grille cloth is easily replaceable, drivers pop right in and out, the crossover is very accessible, and refinishing the cabinet is straightforward.

If you have room for the AR-9, it's likely that you'd be pleased with it.

There's a strong family resemblance in the top-of-the-line models, and the AR-9 was the pinnacle of all-around performance from the company.

I've found 200 watts/channel to be more than adequate for anything but sound effects use; but that said, you can easily power the system to reasonable & pleasing levels with your 9090DB.

Of the Japanese super receivers from that era, Sansui seemed to be an extremely stable choice, with a more pleasing tube-like quality than say Pioneer, or Kenwood, and a very good match with AR systems.

Be aware that restoring an original, unmodified AR-9 to tip-top condition will be more expensive than any of the bookshelf systems. In addition to the driver surrounds, attention has to be paid to the crossover caps, and possibly the level control switches. If the foam inserts for the tweeter and upper midrange are missing (as they usually are) original replacements are expensive, although some prefer to fabricate their own. Adding improved binding posts or spiked feet may also be considered.

The good news is that working on the system is a breeze - there's no messy fibreglass to contend with, the grille cloth is easily replaceable, drivers pop right in and out, the crossover is very accessible, and refinishing the cabinet is straightforward.

If you have room for the AR-9, it's likely that you'd be pleased with it.

Thanks AR-pro,

Good information - I probably have enough room - but my listening space is a bit on the smallish side - any thoughts on the AR-90 and how they compare to the AR-9

Archived