Restoration of AS103 (Kit version of AR3A)

Wayne

I am a newbie to this forum and has just completed a restore of the Heathkit AS103's that I built some 40 years ago. The surround and cones were shot and I reconed them as well as backwiring the midrange and tweeter.

I redid the crossovers with new caps and cleaned and restored the level controls. They were in relative good shape for 40 years. I also changed the color to black and changed the grill cloth as well.

They sound excellent as I am driving them with a NAD amp bridged to 140 watts per channel using my old Heathkit AR 1500A receiver as the preamp tuner.

I am aware that they are not true AR3A's but they have AR drivers and are at least a clone with a new lease on life.

Those Heathkit versions always fascinated me. There was an AR2 version, also.

I remember the AR3 MSRP was $225 in walnut, which was quite a lot of money in the '60's. I think the Heathkit version was about $170, and as you said, used the same drivers as the AR3. This was probably a relatively easy kit to build. A friend bought the Heathkit color television which turned out to be a nightmare. I don't think he ever got it 100% right.

It would be nice if you posted some pics with the grille cloth on and with it off.

Hey Jake. Welcome to CSP!

Define "true" AR3a's. IMHO those are the real deal, in kit form. How 'bout some pictures? (remember to resize them so they aren't too big 100 to 500K is plenty)

Kent

The primary difference is the trim and the fact that the cabinet is made from the same 3/4" thick stock as the AR-5 and 2ax rather than the thicker-walled 3/3a box. I only heard the Heath version once, and if the cabinet wall thickness made a difference in the sound I couldn't hear it.

Those Heathkit versions always fascinated me. There was an AR2 version, also.

I remember the AR3 MSRP was $225 in walnut, which was quite a lot of money in the '60's. I think the Heathkit version was about $170, and as you said, used the same drivers as the AR3. This was probably a relatively easy kit to build. A friend bought the Heathkit color television which turned out to be a nightmare. I don't think he ever got it 100% right.

It would be nice if you posted some pics with the grille cloth on and with it off.

Thanks for the kind words. I will send some pics with the grill on and off. I am current having my son make some new name plates with the Heathkit Logo, lost the old ones somewhere.

Hey Jake. Welcome to CSP!

Define "true" AR3a's. IMHO those are the real deal, in kit form. How 'bout some pictures? (remember to resize them so they aren't too big 100 to 500K is plenty)

Kent

True AR3A's according to my purist friends would not be built in a kit form, they would have better cabinets and the proper credentials on the back, signed off by the Company. They see to poo poo the idea that I said there were AR3A's, no petigree I guess. In any event, the sound is great and I politely told the where they could stick their comments.

True AR3A's according to my purist friends would not be built in a kit form, they would have better cabinets and the proper credentials on the back, signed off by the Company. They see to poo poo the idea that I said there were AR3A's, no petigree I guess. In any event, the sound is great and I politely told the where they could stick their comments.

I don't know if the Heath version has any vintage cache, but looking at the pictures, it wouldn't take much work at all to turn these into cosmetic clones of the Euro 3a cabinets.

Archived