Identify Early 901

wanders

In about 1978, I purchased a set of used 901s. Since then they've been in use about half the time and in storage the other half.

When in use they are out of sight in some special tables I designed and built, so I see don't see them regularly. I checked them a few weeks back and noticed evidence of possible insect presence, so I decided to take off the covers to inspect for any problems. Long story short, everything seems in perfect condition: no insect presence, no deterioration of the driver surrounds.

However, the inspection did raise a couple of questions.First, there is no product identification of any kind, inside or outside the cabinet: no logo, no manufacturer name, no serial number, no series number; nothing except some hand written initials on the inside of the cover. Second, the staples holding the covers on were not in the places shown in the owner's manual that I downloaded. I wonder if there is any way to identify these.

Got the answer elsewhere, they're Series 1. Apparently, series 1 901s were only identified by a lable, paper or metal, attached to the bottom of the cabinet adjacent to the connector post cut-out. When I purchased the speakers, the owner had them suspended from the ceiling by wires connected to eye-bolts screwed into the speaker base. Those holes are right where the label was placed by Bose. Also, looking at other 901-1 pictures, the staple backers, under the grill, are exactly where mine are located, not where the Bose 901 I&II manual shows them to be.

Got the answer elsewhere, they're Series 1. Apparently, series 1 901s were only identified by a lable, paper or metal, attached to the bottom of the cabinet adjacent to the connector post cut-out. When I purchased the speakers, the owner had them suspended from the ceiling by wires connected to eye-bolts screwed into the speaker base. Those holes are right where the label was placed by Bose. Also, looking at other 901-1 pictures, the staple backers, under the grill, are exactly where mine are located, not where the Bose 901 I&II manual shows them to be.

Series I and II are required to be air tight for proper bass performance. They are acoustic suspension designs. If the bolt holes have penetrated the wood all the way through, they need to be sealed. GE silicone worked very well for me. Later designs I think beginning with series III are not sealed.

Archived