KLH model 20 speaks

poundcake02

I bought these speakers used a lomg time ago, and am interested in hooking them up to my 100w/channel system temporarily till I rebuild my main speaks' crossovers. Because they are smaller, I'm afraid my housemates kids are gonna blow them up w/too much bass when I'm not lookin. I used to use them as my rear speaks in my garage, and they sounded great. But I don't know anything about them except the guy I bought them from had them repaired in "97. thanks

Hi and welcome to CSP.

By now you've noticed that posts should be in the appropriate forums. In this case, "KLH."

The KLH Model Twenty speakers were originally part of a system, that included a relatively low-powered amp. That doesn't mean you can't use a 100 wpc amp. In fact, more power is generally better than too little power, which can lead to clipping and speaker damage.

The most important thing to remember with these is that they are 4 ohm speakers. Not all amps are good at driving low impedance speakers, and that could cause problems. Your amp may "see" 4, 3, 2, or even 1 ohm. Zero ohm is a short circuit and THAT's what will blow up an amp! It's the amp that will blow up--not the speakers. Check your amp's specs to make sure it can handle 4 ohm loads. In some cases amps have settings for 8 ohm or 4 ohm. Or tell us what amp or receiver you're using and we'll advise.

Try Googling "receivers capable of driving 4 ohm loads"

As for the kids.... let the beatings begin! :lol:

Kent

Archived