Crinoline Question on AR-3a's

James Bond

In the manual "Restoring the AR-3a's" call for 28 count crinoline from JoAnn Fabrics which I did call. They have two kinds one in the wedding dept and one in utility, the latter being the most expensive. They don't know what count they are though. So does anyone know what the count might be from JoAnn's? Is it okay to use the one in the utility dept. if it is not 28 count?

Thanks...

In the manual "Restoring the AR-3a's" call for 28 count crinoline from JoAnn Fabrics which I did call. They have two kinds one in the wedding dept and one in utility, the latter being the most expensive. They don't know what count they are though. So does anyone know what the count might be from JoAnn's? Is it okay to use the one in the utility dept. if it is not 28 count?

Thanks...

I would not worry about it. The idea to use crinoline came from observing what was used in KLH speakers. Just use something as light and as porous as possible. There are a number of paper thin lining/backing materials that will work just fine.

Roy

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry Sorry, I'm talking about the stuff behind the woofer.

I've used Kimwipes for this

http://www.all-spec.com/products/W34256.html

Lint-free, comes in big sheet sizes and I get it free from work. :)

These are, btw, the closest thing Kimberly-Clark now makes to their old Kimpak product that AR originally used. Kimpak is now made by another company and sold under the name Versa-Pak, but the thin 3-ply stuff that AR used is now a special order product that comes in rolls big enough to supply your own speaker factory.

but the thin 3-ply stuff that AR used is now a special order product that comes in rolls big enough to supply your own speaker factory.

:lol: I've often wondered why AR chose to use essentially tissue paper. I'm guessing it was cost effective.

I have opened many acoustic suspension cabinets, and all but AR used cloth of some type...or nothing at all. It is doubtful that there is a sonic issue here, unless something too thick is used.

Roy

Wouldn't surprise me if it was just what the woofer baskets came wrapped in from their supplier. :)

HAHA! That's what Henry Ford used to do! He specified what kind of wooden packing crate suppliers had to use to ship him parts. The crates ended up as floorboards in the Model T. American business sense from the days when we still made things here.

Kent

Archived