AR3 capacitors

xbartx

I'm making some progress on my AR3s, I have the bad tweeter replaced and the pots cleaned.

Now I need to replace the capacitors ( this will be my first time replacing capacitors, figuring

out what to use looks harder that the actual replacement). Should the capacitors be the exact values of 6uF and 24uF.

I'm sure having a hard time finding the 6uF. Any suggestions on a good moderately priced brand?

-Brad

Hi Brad

I have not worked on a 3 yet, but no--you don't have to use the exact value. +/- 10% is OK.

Madisound sells Carli mylar caps in 6uF. They are very good and they're cheap--$1.50 ea (thanks Roy). They have Carli 12uF for $2.75 each and you could put those in parallel.

Or-- Solens are very popular film caps and they come in 6uF (3.65) and 25uF (9.90).

If you want to get semi-exotic, you could use Clarity PX caps. I put some in KLH Fives recently. 6uF is $5.25 and 25uF is $15.90

Good luck

Kent

I'm making some progress on my AR3s, I have the bad tweeter replaced and the pots cleaned.

Now I need to replace the capacitors ( this will be my first time replacing capacitors, figuring

out what to use looks harder that the actual replacement). Should the capacitors be the exact values of 6uF and 24uF.

I'm sure having a hard time finding the 6uF. Any suggestions on a good moderately priced brand?

-Brad

Hi Brad, I found a site, that had everything I needed to recap the crossovers in my AR9's, they deal in a wide variety of audio application capacitors, chokes, etc.- you might give them a look--www.erseaudio.com-their prices seem very reasonable-see what you think .

Archived