Do the midranges need to be redoped?

mantis

I can't help but wonder whats under the fiberglass stuffing over the midrange driver. How are they constructed? Is it a cloth surround and if so wouldn't it need to be redoped just as a woofer surround would have to be? Thanks.

this concerns 2ax and 3a midrange drivers, by the way.

What about the tweeter little blobs of foam/glue?

I was under the impression that the mids/tweeters could not be refurbished and that once gone, they're gone - including trying to reglue the domes. But I would happy to be told my impression was incorrect...

I was under the impression that the mids/tweeters could not be refurbished and that once gone, they're gone - including trying to reglue the domes. But I would happy to be told my impression was incorrect...

I'm guessing the tweeters would be extremely difficult to try to repair, but the midrange is what I'm actually interested in. What is under the fiberglass? Is it a treated surround? Would it need new treatment for optimal operation much like how cloth surround woofers need to be redoped?

I can't help but wonder whats under the fiberglass stuffing over the midrange driver. How are they constructed? Is it a cloth surround and if so wouldn't it need to be redoped just as a woofer surround would have to be? Thanks.

The mids have cloth domes, very much like modern drivers. They have held up extremely well, and do not need any kind of maintenance. They are not open to the interior of the cabinet, as woofers are, so sealing them is not an issue.

Attached is a photo of a back-wired AR-3a/11/10pi midrange which was used, sans grille, in the early Cello Amati. With the exception of moving the leads from the front to the rear, construction remained relatively unchanged.

Roy

post-101150-1286942116.jpg

The mids have cloth domes, very much like modern drivers. They have held up extremely well, and do not need any kind of maintenance. (Btw, they are not open to the interior of the cabinet as woofers are, so sealing them is not an issue.)

Attached is a photo of a back-wired AR-3a/11/10pi midrange which was used, sans grille, in the Cello Amati. With the exception of moving the leads from the front to the rear, construction remained relatively unchanged.

Roy

post-101150-1286942116.jpg

Ah excellent, thanks for that.

Last question, can you remove the grill easily and if so is the fiberglass attached to it so you can just remove it and then put it back in place? I'm wondering if it may be worth it to take a look at the drivers to ensure they are clear of issues, ensure that the fiberglass isn't getting in the way of the dome, and then putting it back together.

Ah excellent, thanks for that.

Last question, can you remove the grill easily and if so is the fiberglass attached to it so you can just remove it and then put it back in place? I'm wondering if it may be worth it to take a look at the drivers to ensure they are clear of issues, ensure that the fiberglass isn't getting in the way of the dome, and then putting it back together.

It is not easy, nor is it worth the trouble. You won't see anything but the dome with some fiberglass stuck to it. The only issues that typically arise with these drivers are broken leads at the voice coil, and magnets that become loose or detached. You are likely to cause more harm than good by attempting to remove the grille without an obvious reason to do so...especially with the front-wired version.

Roy

2ax midranges are a pretty conventional-looking cone underneath their grills (I picked up a spare once that came with its grill loose). As with the 3-series dome units, nothing much to see or do underneath, and no reason to bother to remove it. I glued the loose grill back on mine right away.

A little over a year ago I found this AR enthusiast who had the equipment and skills to rewind AR-3a tweeter voice coils. He did 2 for me and they came out really nice. I don't know if he still does them, but you can reach him at reverbdmit@aol.com

Good luck,

Bill

Archived