the holy grail/

fred

which acoustic research loudspeaker is in your opinion the holy grail?

Fred,

This is a very complex subject. It can mean many things--the best in its day relative to its competition, the most historically influential, the one that sounded 'best' to you or suited your particular needs the best, etc.

I think the AR-9 was the 'best' for the very specific set of reasons I set out in this post:

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Boar...929&hl=AR-9

What the 'holy grail' means to you may be completely different. There have been so many great, completely satisfying AR speakers over the years, it's tough to single out only one.

Steve F.

Fred,

This is a very complex subject. It can mean many things--the best in its day relative to its competition, the most historically influential, the one that sounded 'best' to you or suited your particular needs the best, etc.

I think the AR-9 was the 'best' for the very specific set of reasons I set out in this post:

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Boar...929&hl=AR-9

What the 'holy grail' means to you may be completely different. There have been so many great, completely satisfying AR speakers over the years, it's tough to single out only one.

Steve F.

For me, it would be either the AR9Lsi (the nice, all-walnut version), the MGC-1 or the Connoisseur sub/sat system (forget the model #) including the speaker stands.

• 2 weeks later...

If you look at the prices for used, good examples, the LST is the most sought after but of course it has more drivers than any other unit so that in itself, probably makes the price higher as well as the restoration costs if replacement drivers are needed. Personally I prefer the LSTs to any other AR due to their soundstaging ability but as noted, much of this stuff is a matter of personal taste.

DSC_6725.jpg

If you look at the prices for used, good examples, the LST is the most sought after but of course it has more drivers than any other unit so that in itself, probably makes the price higher as well as the restoration costs if replacement drivers are needed. Personally I prefer the LSTs to any other AR due to their soundstaging ability but as noted, much of this stuff is a matter of personal taste.

DSC_6725.jpg

Not sure whether those LST stands are quite my cup of tea, but what a great-looking setup! How fortunate that you've got Mac gear. Someday, someday...

Not sure whether those LST stands are quite my cup of tea, but what a great-looking setup! How fortunate that you've got Mac gear. Someday, someday...

thank you for your comments and photo's!!

i am using the lst's for 2 weeks now, mostly on switch position 3 and prefer them over the 10pi's that i used for more than 2 years.

higher soundlevels are handled with more ease and their sound is never aggressive.

i have also some spareparts; 1 near complete filter, 2 6-way switches and 2 autotrafo's.

would it be a wise idea to keep them or sell them ?

greetings from the netherlands!!

"Not sure whether those LST stands are quite my cup of tea, "

They seemed like a good idea at the time! :)

And since my wife had them made specifically for the speakers for my birthday, you can probably appreciate the fact that the stands won't be changing! :)

"Not sure whether those LST stands are quite my cup of tea, "

They seemed like a good idea at the time! :)

And since my wife had them made specifically for the speakers for my birthday, you can probably appreciate the fact that the stands won't be changing! :)

That's a beautiful setup! I sort of like those stands, if only that they are very unique and take attention away from the more formal look of the LSTs. It's a shame they couldn't be about five or six inches taller so that the bottom midrange drivers don't have interference problems with the sides of the cabinet. But overall, it probably wouldn't be particularly audible since the sound is so well dispersed anyway. Your AR Turntable and the beautiful Mac components make for a really nice setup! Congratulations! That setup is a beautiful as a Hatteras '53 Convertible!

--Tom Tyson

"That setup is a beautiful as a Hatteras '53 Convertible!"

Thanks Tom! :)

My choice is way out in left field and will hardly be considered a 'holy grail', but it's among the most important loudspeakers in audio history - the model that embodied what AR set out to do back in 1954, produce superb low distortion bass...yes, the humble AR-1W.

Many of these are gone today since many were parted out or otherwise used in odd ways.......back in the 70s, a friend used four 1W's wired together as bass speakers in his rock band. Powered by a massive Edison movie theater amp. He was half crazy, but the result was really nice powerful bass !

Here's my AR article with a photo of my early 1955 1W (now long gone) http://www.antiqueradio.com/Oct06_Hayden_Acoustic.html

• 2 weeks later...

Archived