Robotics At Boston Acoustics

Pete B

I have read that some robotic automation was used at BA and I am wondering

if anyone knows who set up those assembly lines? Did they use outside experts

in robotics?

I have read that some robotic automation was used at BA and I am wondering

if anyone knows who set up those assembly lines? Did they use outside experts

in robotics?

Both the woofer line and the tweeter line were robotic at BA. The tweeter line, in particular, was an amazing device. It was based on a Japanese line that Moses Gabbay (Exec VP Eng/Prod) saw on a trip to the East, but BA incorporated several custom innovations and upgrades that made it a one-of-a-kind line. The line would make 1-inch and 3/4-inch Neo-magnet tweeters, with either their soft dome ("Kortec") or aluminum diaphragms.

It was a self-diagnosing machine, and every single unit was automatically compared to the reference unit as it completed its assembly process. Tolerance was +/- 1dB to the reference. The unit's computer could identify why/where the failed units were at fault (too much/too little glue, over/under magnetized magnets, etc.) and the print-out at the end of the production run enabled BA's engineers to tweak the line for better performance next time. It was a remarkable line, and the defective fallout from production was so low as to be unbelievable.

BA did not allow visitors to take pictures of it during plant tours.

BA's tweeter quality and consistency were so good that when they shifted virtually their entire production to China in the early 2000's, they still made tweeters in Peabody MA and shipped them over to the Chinese factory. It was cheaper to do it that way then to QC Chinese production lots and reject a large pct due to +/- 4 or 6 dB Chinese tweeter variation.

There has never been a "moderately-priced" tweeter that could compare to BA's in terms of flat, linear performance, unit-to-unit consistency, and reliability.

Steve F.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your input that is fascinating. I expected that it would be

custom since most robotic systems are built for specific tasks. Do you

know if a paper was ever written about it in any of the journals or if

the equipment was taken off line? Is BA still running a robotic line?

I would really like to see the plans if they are ever made public. I've

always believed that the fabrication process should be automated.

Thanks again,

• 8 months later...

Both the woofer line and the tweeter line were robotic at BA. The tweeter line, in particular, was an amazing device. It was based on a Japanese line that Moses Gabbay (Exec VP Eng/Prod) saw on a trip to the East, but BA incorporated several custom innovations and upgrades that made it a one-of-a-kind line. The line would make 1-inch and 3/4-inch Neo-magnet tweeters, with either their soft dome ("Kortec") or aluminum diaphragms.

It was a self-diagnosing machine, and every single unit was automatically compared to the reference unit as it completed its assembly process. Tolerance was +/- 1dB to the reference. The unit's computer could identify why/where the failed units were at fault (too much/too little glue, over/under magnetized magnets, etc.) and the print-out at the end of the production run enabled BA's engineers to tweak the line for better performance next time. It was a remarkable line, and the defective fallout from production was so low as to be unbelievable.

BA did not allow visitors to take pictures of it during plant tours.

BA's tweeter quality and consistency were so good that when they shifted virtually their entire production to China in the early 2000's, they still made tweeters in Peabody MA and shipped them over to the Chinese factory. It was cheaper to do it that way then to QC Chinese production lots and reject a large pct due to +/- 4 or 6 dB Chinese tweeter variation.

There has never been a "moderately-priced" tweeter that could compare to BA's in terms of flat, linear performance, unit-to-unit consistency, and reliability.

Steve F.

Hi Steve

Thank you very much for your very informative write-up.

Other than on T-V programs or movies, I've never seen any robotic production machinery, you've given all of

us a little more knowledge, thank you.

• 8 months later...

I designed and fabricated this robotic "pick and place" system, the video takes some

time to load so give it time if you want to watch it, or right click and download it:

http://smttech.com/shared_pics/PickAndPlaceLres.wmv

Archived