Need AR-2AX Tweeter Replacements Help

Okies

Hi folks, I just picked up a pair of 2Ax's with one tweeter non functional. both wires pulled out from the cone. Seems these old tweets aren't really fixable and a replacement would be in order.

Can anyone point me to a correct tweeter, I've been doing some reading and it seems the HI Vi Q1R is a good choice and available from Parts Express but needs some crossover work in order to get close to the original AR tweeter.

I can do the work but I was hoping for some instructions/photos and a parts list for this job. I rebuilt a set of large Advents recently and there was a wealth of "how to" type info on these available, strangely, there doesn't seem to be much practical info on the AR-2AX tweeter replacements.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Okies

Hi folks, I just picked up a pair of 2Ax's with one tweeter non functional. both wires pulled out from the cone. Seems these old tweets aren't really fixable and a replacement would be in order.

Can anyone point me to a correct tweeter, I've been doing some reading and it seems the HI Vi Q1R is a good choice and available from Parts Express but needs some crossover work in order to get close to the original AR tweeter.

I can do the work but I was hoping for some instructions/photos and a parts list for this job. I rebuilt a set of large Advents recently and there was a wealth of "how to" type info on these available, strangely, there doesn't seem to be much practical info on the AR-2AX tweeter replacements.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Okies

Hi Okies,

The AR-2ax tweeter is the same as the AR-5 tweeter, so reading this recent thread may be helpful to you:

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Boar...?showtopic=5925

The 2ax/5 tweeter is an 8 ohm version of the AR-3a tweeter, and modern "drop in" replacements do not exist for this or any of the other original AR tweeters. The HiVi Q1R, with an 18ga, .05mh inductor wired in parallel across its terminals (for the 2ax and 5), is an acceptable replacement for many of us who have tried it. It is different enough from the original, however, that it should only be implemented in pairs.

The most common route taken is a used AR-2ax tweeter, which appear fairly often on Ebay.

Roy

Roy, after further reading and looking closely at the condition of my remaining tweeter, I think I will try the Hi Vi tweeters you suggested. Would you be willing to tell me exactly how to connect the inductor and resistor to the tweeter? Step by step, if you don't mind for all of us electrical neanderthals.

Also, I noticed the inductor you show in your AR has a plastic top and bottom casing that seems like it would help in mounting, I can't seem to locate this type, where did you get yours, the ones at PE are just copper coils with no casing. I did locate that type at Madisound but it was a 19 awg.

Thanks

Thanks Roy, do you know anything about these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ACOUSTIC-RESEARCH-AR-2...=item2c53a1a1cc

Yes...That is a HiVi QIR with an inductor glued to the back, and holes drilled into the faceplate. I showed Larry how to set it up last year. He recently contacted me with regard to using it in the AR-2ax and 5, and I suggested a smaller inductor than the .1mh coil he was using for the 3a.

You can save $100+/- by doing it yourself. The coil bobbin is not necessary. Just sent you a PM.

Roy

Archived