Please list all AR loudspeakers that use alnico magnets .

thiptoman

Can someone please list the AR speakers that used alnico magnets in their drivers . Lately I've been listening to a pair of AR3 loudspeakers and I really like their tonal color . I would like to purchase a pair of old AR alnico driver loudspeakers . Anyone knowledgeable about these older AR alnico speakers please list them . This would be a great help when looking for a pair . Thanks !

P.S. include other box type vintage loudspeakers from other manufacturers that use these type magnets . Some people say there's no difference in the sound of alnico and ceramic magnets . This might be true but I like what I'm hearing from these old AR3's .

Can someone please list the AR speakers that used alnico magnets in their drivers . Lately I've been listening to a pair of AR3 loudspeakers and I really like their tonal color . I would like to purchase a pair of old AR alnico driver loudspeakers . Anyone knowledgeable about these older AR alnico speakers please list them . This would be a great help when looking for a pair . Thanks !

P.S. include other box type vintage loudspeakers from other manufacturers that use these type magnets . Some people say there's no difference in the sound of alnico and ceramic magnets . This might be true but I like what I'm hearing from these old AR3's .

There's really no way to answer that reliably. Most of the classic-era AR models that were made from the 50's through the late 60's had alnico magnets in them at some point, but many were changed to ceramics during their runs and there's no way to be sure what one has without pulling the grills.

Other manufacturers? There were other manufacturers? :P

• 2 weeks later...
Some people say there's no difference in the sound of alnico and ceramic magnets . This might be true but I like what I'm hearing from these old AR3's .

It is impossible to conduct a meanignful experiment when changing more than one variable. When Alnico-magnet drivers were replaced with ceramic drivers, many other changes were made. For example in the AR-3a and the AR-4x the stuffing weight, and woofer inductor values were changed.

I do not know of any early transition from Alnico to Ceramic that did not change at least one or two other parameters. We cannot change many variables and attribute differences to the one of our choice.

That has nothing to do with your enjoyment of the old speakers! They are wonderful!

Cheers, John

Archived