AR-1 Confusion

Balooz

post-105010-1265424338.jpgpost-105010-1265424296.jpgpost-105010-1265424273.jpgpost-105010-1265424222.jpgpost-105010-1265423903.jpgHello, I have come across some very rare speakers that I am unfamilier with and having a hard time trying to identify and understand what it is I have been (blessed) with. I had gone to this house that was being cleaned out for estate auctions and to sell. The couple that had been there passed away and I was there to help clean up. They had cleaned (relatives) out 95 % of the house already, now there are these speakers sitting on a couple of shelves in each corner of the living room. I jump on them and behold they are Acoustic research AR-1's. Now not knowing how old they were I knew they had to be early versions, but for the condition on them I figured well maybe early seventies, but now I know they are at least late fiftiesmaybe earlier. They have no marks on them what so ever inside or out. ( verified by a tip on here about flashlight at night into speaker grills, Thank You This Website) Now, Ive found very lil information on what it is I may or may not have in my possesion. I have enclosed some pics in hopes that I can be enlightened on what I actually have. I don't know if they are from 1955 thru 1965. I also have commen sense not to open them up or go digging into them

Any info is a great help and greatly appreiciated. I am going to sell them Im in no position right now for setting up a home entertainment system! dammit. :P Thank You. My names Dave by the way and Happy to be here, learning more about good sounds and appreciated equipment everyday!

Hi Dave

First--Welcome to CSP!

Second--WOW!

Third--if I may make a suggestion, you should try resizing photos that you post. Otherwise the page(s) load REALLY slowly. Also, there's a limit on the total size of photos you post.

Fourth--WOW!!

So you'll probably hear from someone who knows the AR-1, like Ken Kantor, but you have some real collector's items there! I've never heard (or even seen) the 1 but they should sound good and are quite valuable. Lucky find and congratulations on (1) knowing they are worth saving and (2) not impulsively tearing into them.

Incredible find!

Kent

Hi Dave

First--Welcome to CSP!

Second--WOW!

Third--if I may make a suggestion, you should try resizing photos that you post. Otherwise the page(s) load REALLY slowly. Also, there's a limit on the total size of photos you post.

Fourth--WOW!!

So you'll probably hear from someone who knows the AR-1, like Ken Kantor, but you have some real collector's items there! I've never heard (or even seen) the 1 but they should sound good and are quite valuable. Lucky find and congratulations on (1) knowing they are worth saving and (2) not impulsively tearing into them.

Incredible find!

Kent

Sorry For The Big Photos. Loaded off my phone. I will try and fix that. I didnt know they were that huge. ( wont happen again) Yeah I am pretty clueless at the moment on the ar1. Ive been familier with ar and there status for years, by way of crutchfield. Just looking through this forums I was amazed at how little I actually knew. I considered myself pretty good on home theatre, but getting these speakers is a whole new world I didnt realize. Or really think about it. So now I just am clueless on this speaker set I have.

So how did you establish your starting bid level?

Looking up old ebay sales of same sets and averaging out a differance, and made high intially for my own doubts on actually wanting to sell them. Also word of mouth from a few who gave suggestions. Pulled outta my --- basically :P

The AR-1 was the original speaker that launched AR back in 1954. The earliest version used a complicated set of multiple jumpers to set the relative levels of the woofer and the fullrange speaker; this is the later version that replaced the multiple jumpers with a pot.

The AR-1 is definitely a collector item for AR buffs, made more so by the fact that many of them have been cannibalized for the Altec/Western Electric full range speaker that is itself a collector item. However, I have heard a few of them, and compared to the later AR-3 and 3a that replaced it, it's not that spectacular a listening experience. I never have figured out what the appeal of that full range speaker is.

Typical selling prices on eBay for clean pairs run between $2000-$3000, and they often sell to buyers who have them or just the Altecs shipped to Asia. A pair was recently listed for $4500, but didn't sell. My guess is that it won't sell for $4000 either.

The AR-1 was the original speaker that launched AR back in 1954. The earliest version used a complicated set of multiple jumpers to set the relative levels of the woofer and the fullrange speaker; this is the later version that replaced the multiple jumpers with a pot.

The AR-1 is definitely a collector item for AR buffs, made more so by the fact that many of them have been cannibalized for the Altec/Western Electric full range speaker that is itself a collector item. However, I have heard a few of them, and compared to the later AR-3 and 3a that replaced it, it's not that spectacular a listening experience. I never have figured out what the appeal of that full range speaker is.

Typical selling prices on eBay for clean pairs run between $2000-$3000, and they often sell to buyers who have them or just the Altecs shipped to Asia. A pair was recently listed for $4500, but didn't sell. My guess is that it won't sell for $4000 either.

I figured that about them not selling, but thats okay. Ive seen a pair on an old ebay add that went for 5300 same set color worst condition pictured in the back of a pick up that did sell. I was new ebayer and just in need right now, so I kinda guessamated on a in between price. I also didnt dont want them cannibalized. They are Ive been told possibly muesum quality.

I figured that about them not selling, but thats okay. Ive seen a pair on an old ebay add that went for 5300 same set color worst condition pictured in the back of a pick up that did sell. I was new ebayer and just in need right now, so I kinda guessamated on a in between price. I also didnt dont want them cannibalized. They are Ive been told possibly muesum quality.

Prices of collectibles rise and fall with the economy. Nobody really needs to buy a pair of 50-year-old AR speakers when money is tight. Of course, there's always someone who has a lot of money no matter how bad things are; the question is what are the odds that someone like that wants 50-year-old AR speakers right now?

Prices of collectibles rise and fall with the economy. Nobody really needs to buy a pair of 50-year-old AR speakers when money is tight. Of course, there's always someone who has a lot of money no matter how bad things are; the question is what are the odds that someone like that wants 50-year-old AR speakers right now?

Its Tax time! You never know. Plus I dont know that much about them to begin with other than they will be purchased eventually. I was lucky enough to rescue them from being thrown in the dumpster they had out front, so if they dont sell thats fine, gives me a chance to learn more about what I do have and what they can/will bring in. Right now someone will have money they need about as much as I need these speakers. Its not always about the money being tight. Its just right timing thats how I see it. They can sit here in for another fifty years unused or I can throw them out there and hope someone wants them not need them. Dont NEED, anything. Im thirty seven and just trying to get either detailed info on these speakers and or money to to pay rent, I know they dont need.I'm Getting a lil off the subject here . Thank ya genek for info on these.If any body has anymore info on These AR1s Please share with me. My eyeballs hurt from reading tidbits about these speakers and really not finding anything about what they are,(westerns or Altecs) why they are so desireable and how rare of a find is it to have them looking as new as I have ever seen.What should be done with them, etc, etc. Thanks For The Info! Ive gone through every thread here and looked online finding more info from old ebay auctions that have done been gone and over with. I cant and wont bring myself to opening the grills on them. I cringe just moving them. If people have paid thousands for some of the ones Ive seen, (no grills, no paper on back of them or water damaged and scuffed up) What in the heck do I have possesion of ? Big Thanks Of Appreciation ahead of time.

Archived