AR-3a shipping

aprest

I plan to sell a pair of AR-3a speakers on ebay, on this forum or maybe Craig's List. I have been planning to sell them with a local pickup here in Maryland requirement because of the problem in shipping them. However I think that there might be people who would be interested in them if I could ship them.

I bought these speakers new when I graduated from college and thus I don't have the original boxes. I could have sworn I saw a homepage where the company was selling AR-3Aa speakers and showed how carefully they packed them in cardboard boxes.

Two questions: 1) does anyone know where I might get boxes for shipping (e.g. a company that has shipped used AR-3a speakers)?; or 2) how you might recommend I box them for shipment?

Years ago I heard a funny story about a man who shipped his pair of large speakers by buying two seats on a Greyhound bus. The buyer told me that it was really funny when the bus pulled up and he had to unload them into his car.

The speakers are in outstanding condition with potentiometers that work perfectly, woofers that just had the surrounds replaced, and mid-range and tweeters that sound great.

Each separately, in a trash bag....

... surrounded on all sides by foam insulation board (available at Home Depot and similar) cut to size, filling any space between the speaker and the cardboard carton, 2" thick, minimum....

Be sure to package them yourself. Zilche's recommendations are good ones. Put the foam board on all 6 sides. The corners are the most critical.

Don't let UPS package them. I've had some 'messes' show up at my door when customers have had UPS do the shipping. The boxes end up heavy with all the packaging materials. The drivers don't like it and treat them roughly.

Each separately, in a trash bag....

... surrounded on all sides by foam insulation board (available at Home Depot and similar) cut to size, filling any space between the speaker and the cardboard carton, 2" thick, minimum....

OK - but where do you get a heavy duty carton that will fit?

Two questions: 1) does anyone know where I might get boxes for shipping (e.g. a company that has shipped used AR-3a speakers)?; or 2) how you might recommend I box them for shipment?

I recommend that you take a look at Tom Tysons post on the subject:

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Boar...amp;hl=shipping

BRgds Klaus

I recommend that you take a look at Tom Tysons post on the subject:

I agree! Double boxing is essential and foam packing peanuts provide cushioning. Take a look at johnieo's comments in that Ken Kantor thread. And if there IS a mishap, the shipper can't say it was inadequately protected. Tom's method is the best. I use this for delicate electronics and tube radios--have shipped to Australia etc. with no problem.

Good luck!

Kent

• 3 weeks later...

Archived