Can someone check my AR 4X wiring?

Shacky

Not all the wire colors are stock - obviously the clear wires off the caps are not. And I'm not sure the grean wire from terminal 1 (top of photo) to #1 on pot should be green.

These were not stock when I received them. They had a 20 OHM pot in place which I didn't know how would interact with crossover. So I put some nice clean originals in from my 3a project.

Caps looked hermetically sealed and PO measure for capacitance and ESR and said they looked good. He's a great tube tech so I think he knows what he's doing.

IMGP9509.jpg

Well I found a picture of stock wiring on Audio Karma. And it looks like that yellow wire to tweeter should be on #2 and grean wire to tweeter should be on base.

But now I'm a little confused as to which goes to the positive (marked with yellow dot) tweeter terminal. Guess worse that can happen is I change phase of tweeters and as long as I keep it consistent within the pair would that be OK?

Help. I'm obviously challenged reading the shcematic in the library.

This was bugging me. The more I looked at it the more I felt I put the tweeter in wrong phase - I really can't tell whether they are designed in phase or out but could figure I wired them the opposite.

So before finshing the second I played the first in mono. No bad sounding. But still I wanted these correct - assuming they aren't.

So I popped off the woofer and switched it back to yellow wire to base on pot and positive lead on tweeter - it also has a yellow dot. hooked it up for a quick listen to see if it sounded different - and yes it does. Maybe a placebo but certainly sounds better to my ears. So this is how I'll roll ;)

So I popped off the woofer and switched it back to yellow wire to base on pot and positive lead on tweeter - it also has a yellow dot. hooked it up for a quick listen to see if it sounded different - and yes it does. Maybe a placebo but certainly sounds better to my ears. So this is how I'll roll ;)

Shacky,

I believe you have it wired correctly.

I remember discussing the Library 4x schematic with John O'Hanlon when he posted it. The yellow dot is the + side of the tweeter, so the polarity is reversed relative to the woofer. The color of the 4x wiring varied along the way. For example, many 4x crossovers have no blue wiring at all, as shown in the Library schematic, instead having different shades of green. The most important thing to remember is that the tweeter polarity is reversed to that of the woofer, regardless of the wire colors.

Roy

Thanks Roy. In the picture above the positive post is the screw with the red woofer wire attached. The clear wire from same goes to the caps then to #2 pot terminal. Green wire to tweeter goes to that same terminal on pot so that makes the green wire positive right?

And yellow wire to base on pot is negative and goes to positive side of tweeter.

If that's all correct it's probably very lucky that I felt it sounded better that way. Having tweeter in phase probably makes it louder and might siound "better" at first listen. Then again I do not like bright speakers - hence my love of vintage AR ;)

Shacky,

Here are two pics courtesy of John O'Hanlon. One is the revised schematic and the other is a photo of my 4x xo that John labeled.

"Zen" is the brand cap I used--just insert yours here (and disregard the "white" and "gray" labels on the cap leads).

So... when comparing yours to mine I would say they are wired the same and presumably correctly.

Good luck.

Kent

post-101828-1263744070.gif

post-101828-1263744093.jpg

Shacky,

Here are two pics courtesy of John O'Hanlon. One is the revised schematic and the other is a photo of my 4x xo that John labeled.

"Zen" is the brand cap I used--just insert yours here (and disregard the "white" and "gray" labels on the cap leads).

So... when comparing yours to mine I would say they are wired the same and presumably correctly.

Good luck.

Kent

Thanks Kent! Looks like I am correct now. There is a thread on AK about recapping 4X and it showed the green wire to base on pot. I hadn't noticed it was an early version with couple of unique characteristics.

Archived