Surrounds for Original K's

Charles218

I have a pair of Snell K's, serial numbers 7319 and 7320. I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to Snell, but I believe that these are the first generation of the K model. I need to refoam the woofers but need clarification on one point.

The woofers are marked "Vifa M21 WG" - "9/84 S". My question has to do with the outer edge of the cone. On both of my woofers there is what I can best describe as a ridge or ring that appears to be made from rubber. I am including a photo here and you can see the ring on the outer edge of the cone, it is black and only about 1/8 inch or so wide. It is raised up from the surface of the cone.

When putting new foams on, does the surround have to be glued onto this ridge only and not touch the actual cone? The ring is so small that I can't imagine how one would accomplish this. If anyone can lead me in the right direction it would be very helpful.

Also, does anyone know where I can get the surrounds? I know that there are many sources for surrounds, but does anyone know where to get surrounds that will perfectly match these speakers?

Thanks!

Charles

post-101619-1253008289.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I have a pair of Snell K's, serial numbers 7319 and 7320. I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to Snell, but I believe that these are the first generation of the K model. I need to refoam the woofers but need clarification on one point.

The woofers are marked "Vifa M21 WG" - "9/84 S". My question has to do with the outer edge of the cone. On both of my woofers there is what I can best describe as a ridge or ring that appears to be made from rubber. I am including a photo here and you can see the ring on the outer edge of the cone, it is black and only about 1/8 inch or so wide. It is raised up from the surface of the cone.

When putting new foams on, does the surround have to be glued onto this ridge only and not touch the actual cone? The ring is so small that I can't imagine how one would accomplish this. If anyone can lead me in the right direction it would be very helpful.

Also, does anyone know where I can get the surrounds? I know that there are many sources for surrounds, but does anyone know where to get surrounds that will perfectly match these speakers?

Thanks!

Charles

I have the Type K/II with Vifa woofer and the correct foam is here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...s%3DI%26otn%3D1

This listing says that it will not work for the Peerless. Yours looks different than mine, so maybe you have the Peerless. Worse comes to worse, a generic 8" from matelectronics might fit, but would not be original. There is a listing in the Netherlands ebay for a rubber surround of similiar size (narrow roll) for the Vifa. Maybe you can contact that seller and see if he can get you something closer, he seems to have much different stock than US sellers.

http://stores.shop.ebay.nl/good-hifi__W0QQ_armrsZ1

As far as what you have on the outer rim of the cone, get as much off as you can rolling between your fingers and scraping with a nail and just glue on top of it.

I have the Type K/II with Vifa woofer and the correct foam is here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...s%3DI%26otn%3D1

This listing says that it will not work for the Peerless. Yours looks different than mine, so maybe you have the Peerless. Worse comes to worse, a generic 8" from matelectronics might fit, but would not be original. There is a listing in the Netherlands ebay for a rubber surround of similiar size (narrow roll) for the Vifa. Maybe you can contact that seller and see if he can get you something closer, he seems to have much different stock than US sellers.

http://stores.shop.ebay.nl/good-hifi__W0QQ_armrsZ1

As far as what you have on the outer rim of the cone, get as much off as you can rolling between your fingers and scraping with a nail and just glue on top of it.

Thanks for the link for the Type K foam, I will check with the seller concerning my woofer. My woofer is clearly labeled "Vifa" and the mystery ring around the perimeter does not seem to want to come off. I am all but certain that it is not part of the old surround, and I am afraid of damaging the cone if I try to remove it. If anyone else has info on this woofer I would still like to know more about it, specifically how to install a new surround.

Charles

Archived