High Fidelity Annual Test Report Co

administrator

Steve G sent over an email regarding the High Fidelity Annual Test Report Compilation from 1973.

This compilation included reviews on the AR-LST, AR-4x, AR-3a, AR-2ax, AR-5, AR-6, and The Advent Loudspeaker, amongst others.

This one would definitely be worth finding at your local library!

Thanks Steve,

Mark

>Steve G sent over an email regarding the High Fidelity

>Annual Test Report Compilation from 1973.

>

>This compilation included reviews on the AR-LST, AR-4x,

>AR-3a, AR-2ax, AR-5, AR-6, and The Advent Loudspeaker,

>amongst others.

>

>This one would definitely be worth finding at your local

>library!

>

>Thanks Steve,

>

>Mark

Mark,

I have the High Fidelity Test Reports compilation issues from 1973, 1975, and 1980. If you would like, I will send them out to you if you'd like to scan those test reports for the site.

Steve F.

Unfortunately I will not be able to post them on the site due to copyright restrictions. I (briefly) consulted an attorney out here in California and they advised me to prevent it from becoming an issue. The publishing rates that were already sent to me are obnoxious. Hopefully at some point they realize the traffic and interest generated by having these articles seen, even for free, is better than mothballing them.

Ok, rant off .. ;)

What I can do is create a nice index of all the speakers covered in these compilations, so you can either send me the packet or just transcribe that information for me.

These classic articles everyone sends me are not lost however .. I still archive them, but they have a "No Publish" attribute until/if the copyright holders allow them to be.

Mark

I'm surprised about the copyright issue, considering that High Fidelity magazine has been extinct for about 15 or 16 years. I guess when Sound and Vision (nee Stereo Review) absorbed them, they also got the rights to HF's old material.

I wonder if a call to their Group Publisher at Hachette's NY offices would clear things up? After all, Classic Speakers is a non-commercial, non-competitive site vis-a-vis Hachette Magazines.

Steve F.

This seems to keep coming up, so I'll post the email I received from HF on 4/9/2001:

"Unfortunately, we cannot grant your request to post these articles on your website. Corporate policy dictates that I must charge a minimum of $1500.00 per year for each article.

In addition, we seem to be affiliated with websites which may compete with our website. Furthermore, are you currently posting our material on yours site.

Thanks,

Andrew L. Friedman

Copyright & Permissions Manager

Hachette Filipacchi New Media

1633 Broadway, 40th Floor

New York, New York 10019

Tel. (212) 767-5334

Fax. (212) 767-5330

www.premiere.com / www.elle.com

www.caranddriver.com / www.roadandtrack.com www.travelholiday.com / www.soundandvisionmag.com www.m-emag.com / www.cycleworld.com / www.womansday.com www.homemag.com / www.boatingmag.com"

I have long since forgotten what Andrew saw already posted on the website, but it was probably a review of an AR speaker or something similiar. In any case, I'm sure I removed it once he wrote or once I found that these out of print magazines had been acquired and someone actually held copyright.

There was another guy over there, Frank Lovece, who was much more clueful, friendly, and helpful. Unfortunately he didn't call the shots.

So, if anyone thinks they can talk to someone more clueful and/or powerful at HF, feel free. In the meantime, I'm not taking any risks.

Mark

File-sharing those old reviews could only BENEFIT "HighFidelityStereoReviewHomeTheaterSoundAndVison", or whatever it's now called, by FAMILIARIZING enthusiasts (both old & new) with the magazine's previous work - maybe even enough to bring in some subscribers. To the best of my knowledge, they have no structure set up to supply a 30 year-old

"High Fidelity" reprint at a reader's request (it's possible that they no longer even POSSESS a complete set of back issues!), so they are being just a little bit less than helpful, here.

Anyway, here's a link to a site that DOES sell HF, Audio, and Stereo Review reprints...I wonder if he's paying royalties?

http://www.sundial.net/~rogerr/magrev.htm

...Perhaps you could accept their terms, but in return they would place an ad for their publications on your web site with the reprinted materials, for which you would charge $1,500/yr...

--Daniel

Mark,

To the best of my knowledge, the HFM position is not lawful and there is no exposure from posting reprints that have been publicly distributed (eg- newstands). However, clearly, there is no point in incurring any sort of anxiety on your part, given the commercial-free nature of this place. I'll talk again to the Hachette people at CES, and see if anyone will send you a release.

You might also ask someone at AR (PR person, marketing, etc.) for permission, since they undoubtedly have obtained reprint rights.

-ken

>Mark,

>

>You might also ask someone at AR (PR person, marketing,

>etc.) for permission, since they undoubtedly have obtained

>reprint rights.

>

>-ken

Mark, you might try contacting Meril Weinstein in marketing, or Denise Salvaggio, who is in the marketing part of Recoton concerned with ads and copywriting and other functions. One number I have is (407) 333-0900 in Lake Mary, Florida. I have found the Recoton folks to be extremely helpful and cooperative in my AR historical endeavors; besides, they might see the benefit in running a commercial-free link or ad (is there such a thing?) on this site in exchange for the service. The real question, however, is whether they can actually grant you permission to reprint something outside their province, even if they do internally have those reprint rights.

--Tom Tyson

>One lesson I have learned in life:

>

>It's easier to get forgiveness than permission.

Mr. Evans is on the money here, as usual.

Besides, the imitation AR site that Chris told us about, www.arsound.com, just reprints the test reports without a second thought. Perhaps the low profile and foreign origin of that site has allowed it to escape the attentions of HP magazines.

Steve F.

Archived