Is this AR5 any good?

Gljesha

Hi,

My name is Ugljesha,

I have an opportunity to buy this pair of AR5s. It is difficult to find these classic AR speakers here in East Europe in Serbia.

I found this pair i this condition. So folks what do you think, for about 70euros. Is this a good buy.

I have a few pictures... please, want to hear some comments from experts. I have a pair of 915, my father bought them in England in '82. They are phenomenal and nothing else I'am listening. How about AR5, are they worth buying??? Thanks

post-104058-1251916900.jpg

post-104058-1251916932.jpg

post-104058-1251917058.jpg

Thanks for advice, finally I bought them, they are very, very good sounding speakers, and I'm very happy. ;)

highs and mids are perfect, but bass line is not so perfect... and I think I should replace caps...

I am searching the forum, but I can't find any info, what type of caps should use and brand for replacement... they are 72 and 24mfd.

Any suggestion? :mellow:

Hi,

My name is Ugljesha,

I have an opportunity to buy this pair of AR5s. It is difficult to find these classic AR speakers here in East Europe in Serbia.

I found this pair i this condition. So folks what do you think, for about 70euros. Is this a good buy.

I have a few pictures... please, want to hear some comments from experts. I have a pair of 915, my father bought them in England in '82. They are phenomenal and nothing else I'am listening. How about AR5, are they worth buying??? Thanks

Those look like vary nice AR 5's not sure about the conversion to US dollars of 70 euros .but nice ones can go as high as 250 US and they are not that hard to find I say get them put new caps in them and sit back and enjoy.

Thanks for advice, finally I bought them, they are very, very good sounding speakers, and I'm very happy. ;)

highs and mids are perfect, but bass line is not so perfect... and I think I should replace caps...

I am searching the forum, but I can't find any info, what type of caps should use and brand for replacement... they are 72 and 24mfd.

Any suggestion? :mellow:

Hi Ugljesha

Great find! The AR5 is considered to be comparable to the AR3a and for 70 euro (about $100 USD) I'd say you got a deal! ;)

From the photos it looks like you have the European versions with the thin frame around the front. It also looks like your woofers have been refoamed, which may be good or bad (depending on the quality of the work).

Do a search here for "AR5" and you will find a lot of discussion.

As for the caps--the brand is a matter of much controversy, but Solen is made in France, is reasonably priced, comes in the values you need and, being European, should be readily available.

Carl has posted a schematic of the AR5 and it looks like you also need a 4uF.

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/library...5_schematic.pdf

US seller Madisound lists Solen caps in 4uF, 25uF and 70uF values. Anything within 10% is fine, so those will work

http://www.madisound.com/manufacturers/solen/fastcaps.php

Good luck!

Kent

Have spent considerable time with the 3a and the 5, I can say that the 5 sounds better in room than the 3a. It is an easier to drive speaker with much better bass/room integration. While the 5 doesn't go down as deep, overall the sound is better balanced.

The 5's are definitely easier to power and place in a room. Properly placed, the 3a will balance as well as or better, but you can't just plop them down on a floor the way you can with the 10" woofer models, which is one reason why AR made the 10pi for people who insisted on using them that way.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

My name is Ugljesha,

Great BUY !

I bought mine way back in the 80's and still use them daily, I would never want something else !

Look for AR5 in this forum to find detailed info on restoring them.

Have fun,

Eddie

Archived