KLH Serial Number Weirdness

JKent

Anyone (maybe Andy) have a clue what this is? I was cleaning the back of a KLH Model Eighteen tuner when the serial number sticker fell off (dried up glue). Under it was a totally different stamped serial number.

What's up with that? ;)

Kent

post-101828-1251492954.jpg

Kent, I'll have to say I've never seen that. Such a big difference in the two numbers...6,000 to 40,000 range ?

If we look at some details - the model eighteen was introduced in 1965 and made until about 1970. A # of 6381 is an early number and 43794 would have to be a few years a later ? I'm also trying to remember when KLH started with the decals...I think it was right around 1965. These are just thoughts - two serial numbers thats a new one on me ?

Kent, I'll have to say I've never seen that. Such a big difference in the two numbers...6,000 to 40,000 range ?

If we look at some details - the model eighteen was introduced in 1965 and made until about 1970. A # of 6381 is an early number and 43794 would have to be a few years a later ? I'm also trying to remember when KLH started with the decals...I think it was right around 1965. These are just thoughts - two serial numbers thats a new one on me ?

Thanks Andy

You and I may be the only people on the planet who would find this intriguing ;)

I have not examined the circuitry--there were a number of "Revisions" of the Eighteen. I do know earlier ones had silver back panels (like this one) and later ones had painted black panels. Looking through photos of Eighteens I have owned, SN 51363 was silver, SN 52436 was black so that kind of narrows down that change. I bought SN 058144 in 1969, I think. Can't seem to find the original receipt but it's around here someplace ;)

SN043794 had a label like the one in question, but by 04754 the label was stamped M-18 in black, followed by the embossed SN.

I have SN 043200 in my collection (I think). Should see what's under the label!

008945 did not have a label--the numbers were etched in to the back plate like the one I posted. By 042876 they were using labels. I don't have any photos of units in between 8945 and 42876 so that's a big gap and a mystery.

The earliest one I've ever owned was 0003025 but I sold it (so much gear, so little room!!)

cheers!

Kent

Archived