BEWARE CL SCAMS!!

JKent

I recently had a receiver for sale on Craigs List (a MAC4100 for $1,000) and received an inquiry: "Is it available?" I answered "yes", then got this:

Hello I really appreciate your response to my email.I want you to

consider it sold, please do withdraw the advert from craigslist to

avoid disturbance from another buyer.I want you to know that i will be

paying via bank certified check .I will like you to provide me with

the following.information to facilitate the mailing of the check to

you .

1.....Full name to write on the check

2.....Full Physical address to post the check

3.....City, State and Zip Code

4.....Home & Cell Phone to contact you

*** Note that the payment will be shipped to your address via UPS NEXT

DAY SERVICE and I will like you to know that you will not be

responsible for shipping i will have my mover come over as soon as you

have cashed the check** Thanks i can trust you on this so we can move

It smelled bad (I know counterfeit bank checks have been circulating) so I emailed back "Sorry--cash & carry only". Never Heard another word.

Happened to mention this to my mechanic today and he said he got exactly the same response to something he had on CL.

Seller beware!

Yes, this happens all the time. For example, here's a scammer replying to my KLH 20+ listing this week--

Hi,

In about a week you will get payment.Firstly i would have love to come and see it in person but due to my job. I will be paying by money order or a check so give me your full name and address to make them payable to as i do not want to lose this sale to someone else. If you will keep it in my favor, i dont mind adding twenty dollar for the delay. Pick-up wont be a problem as i already have an arrangement for that.

thanks

• 3 months later...

It happened again. A little smoother than the first but obviously another scam. I RARELY use CL but now it seems EVERY listing is subject to scams. I wanted to sell some old electric baseboard heaters that were just taking up space. 5 for $99. Big deal. After one apparently legit inquiry, I get this from another "buyer":

Is this item available for sale?

I should have known, but I replied and then got this:

Hi

Thanks for the response.I am willing to pay your asking price.I will pay by money order as its the only way i can pay you at the moment.I will make arrangement for the pick-up after payment have been received by you. I dont mind adding an extra twenty dollars so you can keep it in my favor.Reply with your full name,cell phone number,and address where payment should be sent.Please take the posting off craigslist today and consider it sold to me. Expecting to hear from you soon.

Regards

The scammer won't get my money but they have my email address :rolleyes:

Kent

It happened again. A little smoother than the first but obviously another scam. I RARELY use CL but now it seems EVERY listing is subject to scams. I wanted to sell some old electric baseboard heaters that were just taking up space. 5 for $99. Big deal. After one apparently legit inquiry, I get this from another "buyer":

Is this item available for sale?

I should have known, but I replied and then got this:

Hi

Thanks for the response.I am willing to pay your asking price.I will pay by money order as its the only way i can pay you at the moment.I will make arrangement for the pick-up after payment have been received by you. I dont mind adding an extra twenty dollars so you can keep it in my favor.Reply with your full name,cell phone number,and address where payment should be sent.Please take the posting off craigslist today and consider it sold to me. Expecting to hear from you soon.

Regards

The scammer won't get my money but they have my email address :rolleyes:

These scams can be hard on buyers as well. I recently found a good deal on a preamp and power amp I'd been looking for a long time. I found it on a Craig's List in Colorado. I'm in New York and the seller is scared to death I'm going to scam him. I've been pondering all different ways of paying him without much success. I don't think the deal is going to happen.

Bill

Kent

• 2 weeks later...

Archived