AR 40 refoamed & ready but how to hook up?

Guest MixItUp

Gene, it's just the two speakers hooked up for now and quite frankly, for the room space, it will be perfect. I really gave them a minimal sound check last evening as the newly purchased Pioneer receiver is a bear to setup without a TV monitor and we've have yet to properly set it up with calibration.

The receiver was actually purchased just for the living room- music/audio only.

The new plan last night over dinner was to actually hook the new receiver to a TV for easier setup as the process will be much more streamlined and effective. This receiver manual only details screen set-up and calibration. (HTS type) Luckily, we have a portable 19" we can pop over so it may spare some frustration.

I hear you on the defaults and settings on these home theater systems. Thanks for asking and keeping an eye out on me. Are far apart do you think I should have them, minimally? Right now they are about 8 feet apart, probably too close but I got a funky living room/dining room config.

p.s. many ladies on here? :blink:

The automatic calibration in most HT receivers that come with it is usually meant to calibrate multu-speaker surround setups, so it may not do much for a two-speaker setup. Can't hurt to try it, though.

The traditional "rule of thumb" in stereo speaker placement is to place them as far apart as your main listening area is far from them. Think triangle with three equal sides. But this inevitably varies with listening space.

The posting population of CSP is predominantly male. I don't think we have any way of knowing who might be reading but not posting.

Should we maybe not have bought a HT receiver? I was sort of wondering this. Hubby spent a lot of time researching it and came up with this model.

Hindsight it always 20/20 but the receiver came before the AR 40 "appropriation". I am copying and printing out every valuable word of advise. I really want this baby to sound sweet.

Your receiver seems to have what you need for these speakers. Mostly, you just bought more channels of amplification and surround processing capability than you're likely to need for the current use, but you may end up using them some time in the future.

Archived